Director of Brewing Operations
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Urban South is an award winning regional craft brewery in New Orleans. We operate a 30bbl brewhouse and are on pace to do ~24,000 bbls in 2023 and also run locations in Houston and Pensacola. We're looking for an experienced Director of Brewing Operations to have primary hands-on responsibility for the efficient production of top-quality beer at all Urban South locations.
- A craft brewing pro—you have done just about every job in the brewery but found your passion in operations. Making and getting great beer to good people is what keeps you going.
- An active change agent for growth. The big picture vision lights you up, and you are the person with the tactical know-how to bring it to life in a world-class production facility.
- A passionate leader. You are scrappy, efficient, and confident as you solve problems, and you inspire your team to follow suit.
- Nimble-minded. Change and innovation is critical to our success, and that excites you.
- Work closely with operations leaders (Lead Brewers and Director of Packaging Operations) and HR to hire, train, mentor, and manage a knowledgeable, diverse, and dedicated staff.
- Consult with Head Brewers in Houston, Pensacola, and all future locations on executing innovative projects ranging from small batch to large scale, year-round liquid.
- Work with Head Brewers in Houston, Pensacola and all future locations to write and manage production schedules to ensure the brewery meets market and taproom demands.
- Manage facilities staff to ensure equipment and facilities are in condition to produce quality beer on schedule.
- Develop and ensure adherence to SOPs that focus on beer quality and maximizing efficiencies.
- Focus on quality control and assurance by collaborating with production leadership to establish procedures and specifications, assessing their effectiveness through rigorous testing in the lab and sensory analysis, and always maintaining an emphasis on quality.
- Manage procurement, transfers, inventory, and storage of ingredients at all locations.
- Manage brewing COGs and efficiencies to drive profitability.
- Foster a culture of quality and innovation amongst brewing team members
- Assist with production tasks in any area of the brewery.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 8+ years brewing experience in a mid to large sized brewery.
- 2+ years experience in a supervisory role.
- BA/BS or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated mechanical skills with the equipment found in a production brewery.
- Demonstrated computer skills; experience with Ekos preferred.
- A passion for craft beer and the ability to embrace Urban South’s core values.
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with other departments and key stakeholders to deliver a high-quality product.
- Focus on developing and delivering high level strategy to ensure alignment and achievement of all production goals.
- Exceptional leadership & management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong knowledge of large to mid-sized brewery manufacturing.
- Interest in and familiarity with a wide range of brewing styles and products - from barrel aging to highly fruited beers. Familiarity with other fermentables is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal & conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Strong computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets.
- Excellent organizational abilities.
- Ability to multitask.