This job is no longer accepting applications.
Direct Report: Brewmaster
The Brewer is based at our Virginia Beach Craft Kitchen and Brewery, operating our 10 bbl brewhouse. Aspects of this system includes milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, hop additions, whirlpool, and wort cooling. In addition, the Brewer is responsible for pre- and post-cleaning and sanitation of all transfer lines and vessels. The brewer also is responsible for cellar tasks including, but not limited to, yeast pitching, filtration, beer transfers, tank Clean-in-Place (CIP), various fermentation additions, maintenance of parts and hoses, and the filling of casks and firkins. The brewer is expected to be punctual, self-motivated, and have a strong connection with the Virginia Beach community.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall production of the brewing process.
- Complete assigned tasks in accordance with company standard operating procedures.
- Accurately record all aspects of the brew to track production operations and inventory.
- Cellar work including but not limited to yeast handling, cleaning and sanitization of transfer lines, and CIP of brewery vessels.
- Follow all cleanup procedures post brewing and cellar operations.
- Follow all safety procedures.
- Formulate and schedule brews; collaborate on larger picture of recipe development.
- Brew beer precisely based on written recipes and SOP.
- Actively partner with General Manager on collaboration beers by identifying community partners and develop meaningful collaborations with members of the Virginia Beach community that will allow us to tell their stories through beer.
- Communicate with collaborating partners and provide a great brewing experience.
- Regularly represent Three Notch’d in the community by participating in local and regional events.
- Constant communication with our Brewmaster to ensure our beer meets internal quality standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
- General knowledge of practices, methods, tools, and equipment used in production and pub-style brewing.
- General knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions associated with work.
- Ability to interpret technical bulletins and schematics on equipment related to work.
- Minimum of three years of brewing experience as assistant brewer or brewer.
- Professional brewing certificate
- Must be 21-years of age.
- Flexible availability.
- 5 years relevant experience in the brewing industry.
- Bachelor of Science degree in technically related field.
- Production Area.
- Ability to work in extreme cold, extreme heat, temperature changes.
- Industrial noises.
- Occasional exposure to wet conditions.
- Stainless steel fermenters.
- Malt Silo, Grist Mill, Grist Hopper, Hot Liquor Tank, Mashtun, Kettle, various centrifugal pumps.
- Pallet jacks, manual and electric.
Little or No Travel (<10%)
Ability to frequently lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift up to 150 pounds.
Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk, talk, hear, use hands to finger, grasp, handle or feel, push, pull, reach, crouch, kneel, crawl or bend, and perform repetitive motions of the hands and/or wrists.
High mental and visual attention required for planning difficult work methods and sequences to obtain size, shape, or physical qualities of product. AND/OR Extremely close visual attention such as making delicate adjustments to control high speed operations to exercise very precise muscular control.
Three Notch’d Brewing Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.