Quality Control Lab Technician
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Funky Buddha Brewery, located in Oakland Park, Florida, is seeking a full-time Quality Control Lab Technician to join its growing team. Established in 2010 at its Boca Raton brewpub, Funky Buddha is known for pushing the boundaries of traditional brewing methods with culinary-inspired recipes utilizing all-natural, food-centric ingredients. Some of its best-known beers include flagships Hop Gun IPA and Floridian Hefeweizen. This fast-growing company is the first production brewery in the greater Fort Lauderdale area and the largest brewery in South Florida and is positioned for rapid expansion over the next few years.
“Where the Best Beers Are – Top 20 Brewpubs/Breweries for good beer” – USA Today
“25 Breweries to Know” – Draft Magazine
“10 Best Breweries to Visit in the South” – First We Feast
The Quality Control Lab Technician is responsible to inspect, test, sort, sample or weigh raw materials or processed products for record keeping or deviations from specifications. This includes using precision measuring instruments and complex test equipment; generating, compiling, organizing and evaluating quality assurance data so that all functions in the brewery are monitored and recorded. Maintain the laboratory in a fully functioning and professional manner and act as a scientific resource to rest of brewery staff. Assist Quality Manager in all quality matters, from R&D to customer complaint related tasks. Follow good manufacturing practices and procedures in the laboratory. Coordinate and execute microbiology testing using PCR and Plating methods.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Conduct aseptic and environmental sampling throughout the brewery
- Prepare microbiological media, sterile plating and microscopic analysis of microbial growth
- Conduct PCR testing, analysis and reporting of results
- Perform yeast cell count and viability
- Maintain proper inventory of materials, lab consumables, yeast, product library and quality samples
- Perform chemical and microbial analysis of water, wort, yeast, beer, and brewery environment
- Collaborate with other staff to ensure gauge precision proper calibration of brewing, cellaring, and laboratory equipment
- Help to develop, organize, implement and continuously optimize sensory panel tastings
- Use various techniques for measurements of analytical data including; alcohol %, beer bitterness and color
- Data entry including brew, fermentation, cellar, QA/QC, and software (Ekos Brewmaster, Chillatron)
- Problem solving on collected data for quality purposes and product consistency
- Monitor temperature and pressure on all stages of product
- Updates job knowledge by participating in staff training opportunities
- This list is not exhaustive and job functions are subject to change to accommodate changing business needs
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
- Assist Brewery Operations Manager with any necessary production duties.
- Assist in any other special duties associated with beer production.
- Assist with R&D and recipe development
- Assist with research and product improvement tasks for quality improvement
- May be asked to assist with other duties and special projects throughout the Brewery
- Near Vision Constant
- Far Vision Constant
- Hearing Constant
- Talking Constant
- Sitting Frequent
- Walking Frequent
- Computer Use Frequent
- Crouching, Bending, Stooping Frequent
- Reaching Occasional
- Grasping Occasional
- Pushing/Pulling Occasional
- Lifting/Carrying up to 55 lbs Occasional
- Climbing Stairs Occasional
OSHA laws require the use of the following Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when performing work duties that have the potential of risk to your health or safety:
- Safety goggles when walking through the Production area
- Steel Toe rubber boots
- Safety gloves when handling industrial strength chemicals
- Hearing Protection in loud environments
Employees will be trained in the proper use and care of assigned PPE. Funky Buddha Brewery provides the required PPE. It is your responsibility to report defective, damaged or lost PPE, or equipment that does not fit properly to your Manager.
No positions directly report to this position.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Experience in a laboratory setting
- Excellent skills in communicating with a variety of audiences, both verbally and in writing
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiar with the entire brewing process, from grain to glass
- Familiar with general laboratory instruments and techniques (e.g. pH meter, spectrophotometer, microscope, cellometer, serial dilutions, pipetting, aseptic technique, lab centrifuge, etc.)
- Familiar with manufacturing, laboratory, and documentation practices
- Ability to work safely with hazardous chemicals
- Ability to work safely in a wet, noisy, and non-temperature-controlled environment
- Ability to work safely in confined spaces and around complex machinery
- Ability to stoop, squat, kneel, and crawl for purposes of collecting samples, gathering data, and cleaning
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects at one time, maintaining attention to detail with each project
- Ability to meet production, quality and safety standards
- An understanding of operational structure and system variable such as pressure, temperature and flow is preferred
- Open mind for cross-training and covering other department’s tasks related to beer production and quality
Four-year college degree in natural sciences (e.g., microbiology, biochemistry, food science, etc.) preferred.
Minimum of one-year Quality Control or Laboratory experience required. Previous craft brewing or food industry preferred.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
No special licenses or certificates required.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance.
Integrity, loyalty and a good sense of humor are all factors in who we hire. We are a rapidly expanding company with growth potential within.
Funky Buddha Brewery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you think you have what it takes to join this exciting and growing company, please apply here. Calls, letters, faxes, carrier pigeon, or personal visits will not be accepted.
Your application has been successfully submitted.