Events Sales Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The primary responsibilities of the Events Sales Manager are to oversee the special events program within the Harpoon Beer Hall (HBH) by working directly with clients and the selling of events. The Events Sales Manager will be responsible for selling private hospitality events at the HBH and, more broadly, securing business from local companies. This position has supervisory responsibility to Event Coordinators.
The ideal candidate has professional event management and event sales experience and has a genuine passion for bringing people together to enjoy great beer and great beer drinking experiences. The person must be a confident, independent self-starter with competitive drive, initiative, a sense of urgency to achieve sales goals and meet client needs. The position requires well-developed communication and organization skills. The ability to build, maintain, and leverage relationships, including internal collaboration to produce the optimal guest experience is essential.
The Events Manager must be able to handle all situations with regards to guest issues, building issues, and other issues that they may be faced with while on duty. It is crucial for the Events Manager to lead by example and understand they are always representing MBBC and what MBBC stands for.
This role is comprised of, but not limited to, the following duties:
Event Sales and Relationships
- Receive event inquiries and reply in a timely manner
- Host visits with potential event guests to show the space, describe event layout, and event schedule for an event that optimizes Harpoon resources and guest needs/wants
- Post-event thank you message and inquiry on experience, on-going communication with customers to develop future business.
- Work with GM to develop and execute annual plan to acquire new customers and cultivate relationship with existing customers in regards to events and event opportunities
- Manage relationships with Greater Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau and other external organizations to grow business and relationships
- Work closely with customer to create a clear plan for all aspects of event, schedule staff and coordinate other internal/external resources
- Onsite contact and point of communication for event. Supervise staff and oversee third party services. Manage set-up/breakdown of event
Administrative Work and Forecasting
- Maintain event schedule, confirm upcoming events (catering, set-up, tours etc.),
- Set financial and quantitative goals, identify annual expenses, budget, and capital expenditures
- Maintain records of invoices, past confirmations, electronic records of revenue and catering revenue, sales voucher tracking, top-sheets (clipboards), and event commentary/observations
Supervision of Staff
- Recruiting, hiring and onboarding of Event Coordinators as needed in collaboration with the General Manager
- Training of events and all related SOP’s to Beer Hall staff and new Event Coordinators
- Event Coordinator scheduling and labor cost control
- Routine meetings individuals and team
- On-going evaluation and periodic performance reviews
- Hands-on coaching, and guidance to ensure compliance with all SOPs and standards
- Maintaining the professional appearance of all Event staff
- With support of the Floor Supervisor, supervise HBH staff dedicated to executing events during events
- Hospitality/ Food and Beverage management experience a plus
- 2-5 years event experience
- 2-3 years supervisory experience
- Professional sales experience is a plus
- Very strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Established competency with
- POS systems
- Office equipment and software (spreadsheets, word processing)
- cost control systems
- cash routines
- basic financial accounting
- Highly organized and energetic
- Genuine enthusiasm for craft beverages sector and our consumers
- Variable hours that include night and weekend work
- Some travel to Boston-area clients and related organizations
- Ability to understand all Beer Hall functions
- Position requires prolonged standing, bending, stooping, twisting, lifting products and supplies weighing up to 65 pounds, and repetitive hand and wrist motion.
- Work with hot, cold, and hazardous equipment
FLSA: Full Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: General Manager – Beer Hall
Your application has been successfully submitted.