Cellar Person II
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
REPORTS TO: Cellar Manager
THE BIG PICTURE
The Cellar Person II reports to the Cellar Manager and is responsible for many aspects of the day-to-day operations of the brewery and cellar, including gravity checks, performing transfers, tank CIPs, along general upkeep and operation of the cellar. The Cellar Person II will follow procedures and processes established for and approved by Modern Times Beer as well as be an ambassador for Modern Times culture and values and will have effective communication skills. Candidates must share Modern Times’ commitments to quality, safety, business ethics, and continuous innovation.
THE EVERYDAY VIEW
- Safe handling of cleaning chemicals, gases, pressurized vessels, hot liquor, etc. and general promotion of safety and quality culture within the brewery
- Proper use of brewing equipment including Densitometer, CBOX, Hach Turbidimeter, etc.
- Regularly attend taste panels and able to identify MT brands as well as off-flavors
- Able to understand and execute scheduling and processes in cellar, brewhouse, packaging, and regarding yeast management
- Acts as a leader in the brewery regarding safety, scheduling, time management, and communication
- Always maintains a professional demeanor and acts as an ambassador for Modern Times
- Raw materials receipt, storage, and retrieval for cellar processes
- Dry hopping the prescribed amount of hops to a designated fermenter via the Hop Cannon.
- Yeast management, including the harvesting and/or pitching of yeast from the prescribed fermenter/brink while following sanitary procedures
- Proper use and upkeep of cellar parts and equipment including hoses, gaskets, pumps, etc.
- Using Obeer to express dry hopping, fruiting, coffee, and transfer information
- Following established procedures to clean the Brewhouse, fermenting, brite tanks, and other areas
- Transferring or filtering beer from fermenter to brite tank in a sanitary manner underbalanced pressure, and correct use of the centrifuge as needed
- Applying the correct pressure and volume of compressed CO2 gas to brite tanks for carbonation and displacement of beer as it is being packaged
- General cleaning of horizontal, vertical, and sub-grate surfaces
- Open effective and professional communication with all team members
- Other tasks may be assigned as needed
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be 21 years of age or older at the time of application
- Able to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check
- Strong understanding of how to operate safely and maintain a safe working environment
- Minimum 2 years of commercial production brewery experience, or 3 years at a brewpub
- Brewing education either formal or informal strongly preferred
- Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude
- A critical thinker that can innovate on current processes
- Experience as a communication lead in complex scheduling and process scenarios
- Good interpersonal skills and team spirit
- Able to operate a forklift and pallet jack
- Ability to keep meticulous digital records via daily data entry
- Strong possession of common sense in all areas of work, including problem-solving and communication
- Willingness to cooperate with and learn from all MT departments
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Willingness to regularly work during evenings and weekends
- Willingness to work any shift in a 24/7 production environment
- Able to stand for prolonged periods
- Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs
- Able to manipulate valves and clamps
- Able to read and follow written instructions
- Able to regularly lift/carry 44-pound boxes with appropriate tools and techniques
- Able to regularly lift/carry 55-pound bags above waist level with appropriate tools and techniques
- Able to periodically lift/move 165 pounds with appropriate tools and techniques
- Able to work in a factory/production environment that may be loud, slick, humid, and hot
- Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protective equipment such as gloves and goggles
- Able to sit at and work on a computer completing data entry for prolonged periods
**Applications accepted until the role has been filled**
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS AND PERKS ELIGIBILITY
- Modern Times is a partially employee-owned company, with 30% of our equity held in an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), guaranteeing employees the opportunity to earn equity in the company over time
- Health, Chiropractic & Acupuncture benefits (with a CA-$159.00, per month employer contribution towards any plan)
- Dental benefits (with a 100% employer contribution option)
- Vision benefits (with a 100% employer contribution)
- Life insurance (with a 100% employer contribution)
- Long-term disability (with a 100% employer contribution)
- Unlimited paid time off (pending manager approval)
- Eligible to participate in 401(k)
- Eligible for a 2-month paid sabbatical after 5 years
- Radical beer and coffee perks
Full-time employees become eligible for health benefits on the first 1st after 30 days of employment (For instance, if your start date is May 15th, you’d be eligible for benefits July 1st).
ABOUT MODERN TIMES
Modern Times began as a 30bbl production brewery in the Point Loma neighborhood of San Diego. Modern Times is named after a beautifully crazy utopian community founded in 1850, and many of our beers are named after real utopian experiments or mythological utopias. Today, we're distributed throughout California, Nevada, Arizona, Maui, the Pacific Northwest, and select international markets. We operate a tasting room at the brewery, as well as in San Diego’s North Park community, and opened brewery/restaurant locations in Portland, Los Angeles, and Encinitas in 2018, Santa Barbara and Oakland in 2019, and Anaheim in 2020. We brewed our first batch on May 18th, 2013; our beer went on tap for the first time on June 24th, 2013; we held the soft opening for the Lomaland Fermentorium tasting room on August 9th, 2013; and our Grand Opening was September 7th, 2013.
In the summer of 2017, we became California’s first-ever employee-owned brewery, with 30% of the company now owned by our employees and the goal of 100% employee ownership in the future. We think that’s pretty radical.
Learn more at www.moderntimesbeer.com
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Modern Times Beer strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.