Environmental Health & Safety Manager
Main Purpose of Job:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and coordinate the development and implementation of The Lion Brewery environmental management system in compliance with environmental legislation
- Develop, implement and monitor environmental strategies, policies and programs that promote sustainable development.
- To establish, manage and monitor standards, processes, communications, risk assessments, management systems and delivery of all Health Safety Environmental activity in an effective and efficient manner.
- Partner with regulatory bodies / internal /external business customers and ensuring all key performance measures and objectives are achieved in regard to Health Safety and the Environment.
- The role is responsible for leading and supporting all aspects of the business in its adoption and conformance to all Health Safety and Environmental legislation and policies/statements and procedures.
- Develop, implement and monitor Safety strategies, policies and programs that promote a Safe and Health work environment.
- Develop, Organize and Manage a Safety masterplan that leads our organization through the culture changes needed to become a VPP recognized site. (OSHA sponsored Voluntary Protection Plan)
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Coordinate systems for control of pollution, waste management, recycling
- Monitor the effectiveness of the Health Safety and Environmental Policies recommending changes where appropriate, and ensure that practices which are potentially hazardous are corrected systemically.
- Advise Senior Management on all legal and other requirements relating to health safety and environmental legislation in the work place.
- Monitor the investigation of accidents and review accidents and statistics pertaining to such with the management. Prescribe corrective actions and lead the organization through change.
- Producing educational resources and coordinate environmental training as required.
- Compile and return accident statistics to the H&S Manager and Factory Managers.
- Auditing, analyzing and collating environmental performance data and using information to drive continuous improvement.
- Ensure that there is suitable emergency procedures and equipment in place for dealing with emergencies such as fires and spillages.
- Participate in Safety inspections and audits according to timetables agreed with the H&S Manager and Safety committee.
- Upon receipt of Hazard Reports, determine action to be taken and ensure that the relevant person responsible for the removal of the hazard takes action without delay.
- Ensure that through a risk assessment and job safety analysis based approach that all Health and Safety issues are eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level in the area of responsibility.
- In conjunction with the Engineering Manager, Technical Manager and relevant project Manager he/she should carry out risk assessments on any new machinery, plant, equipment being installed in the factory or where there is any significant alteration to machinery
- Coordinate and own the site safety representatives and Health Safety and Environmental team meetings.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills and the ability to challenge constructively.
- Effective team working and the ability to work independently using own initiative.
- The ability to plan, prioritize and organize own workload.
- Extensive knowledge of effective health safety and environmental management strategies and best practice.
- Detailed knowledge of current health safety and environmental legislation and its application
- 2 - 3 years’ experience in an Environmental role within a manufacturing environment
- 2 - 3 years’ experience in a Safety role within a manufacturing environment
- Experience of communicating effectively verbally and in writing to senior managers and writing reports.
- Evidence of continued professional and personal development.
- A professional approach which generates credibility and confidence in others.
- The ability to work in partnership and across boundaries to achieve results.
- Confident and assertive with a self-motivated approach and flexible attitude.
- The ability to overcome obstacles to solve problems to achieve results.
- Ability to cope with pressure and work to tight deadlines.
- A personal commitment to continuous self-development.
- Strong IT skills e.g. Microsoft Office
Your application has been successfully submitted.