Full Time Cellar Technician
UNION Craft Brewing was created around the idea that great beer has the power to unite diverse communities and invigorate neighborhoods and cities. Beer Unites! is not just a tagline, it’s the underlying philosophy of everything we believe in as a business. Good beer brings good people together for good times—and good works.
UNION Craft Brewing is currently looking for a full-time Cellar Technician. This position provides support to the Head Brewer and production team and performs daily cellar tasks while maintaining company policies and ensuring that products meet UNION Craft Brewing’s high-quality standards. It is essential for this person to communicate regularly and effectively with the Head Brewer and Production Team to ensure all cellaring responsibilities are fulfilled safely, efficiently, effectively, and accurately. The ideal candidate will be professional and motivated. This is an entry-level position with opportunities to grow your career in a fun and supportive environment in the craft beer industry.
Reports to: Head Brewer
- Displaying a high level of awareness at all times regarding:
- ~Sanitation and cleanliness
- Performing CIP (clean-in-place) on fermenting vessels (including validating cleanliness through visual inspection and ATP surface swab measurement)
- CIP-ing brite beer tanks (including sanitizing-in-place, carbon dioxide purging and validation)
- Collecting samples (including sterile samples for inoculation, forced-fermentation samples)
- Capping fermenters, as directed by the appropriate person (QA specialist, ProdOpsMgr, brewer-on-duty)
- Dumping yeast and trub from fermenters as scheduled
- Ensuring all fermenters have adequate head-pressure at all times (and communicating any need for further investigation of problem tanks to the appropriate person)
- Sanitary additions to fermenters, including:
- ~Fining addition
- ~Fruit additions
- Validating that all beers have received all necessary prior treatments before every cellar action
- Operate and maintain the centrifuge
- Transfer product from fermentation vessel to brite tank using centrifuge
- Providing occasional assistance on the canning line
- Ensuring all opening and closing tasks are completed every day
- Assisting as needed with special projects:
- ~Barrel filling and emptying
- ~Special additions to brite beer (e.g. coffee)
- Nitrogenation of beer
- Upholding a high level of general plant cleanliness
- Communicating directly with Production Operations Manager or other appropriate person:
- ~Confirming all daily tasks have been completed
- ~Relaying any maintenance issues to be addressed
- ~Relaying any quality issues to be addressed
- Have a general understanding or willingness to learn the basic principles of:
- ~Food-production safety and sanitation
- ~Fluid flow
- ~Process gasses
- ~Chemical safety
- At least 2 years of experience working in a brewery or similar production/manufacturing company.
- Regularly lift up to 55 lbs and maneuver 165 lbs and more.
- Comfortably work at heights, in cramped spaces and awkward positions, and in hot and cold environments for extended periods of time
- Ability to work in an environment with high noise levels
- Ability to safely utilize scissor lift and forklift as needed (training provided, if necessary)
- Ability/willingness to work in a wet environment and handle hazardous materials appropriately
- Ability to stand, walk and work for extended periods
- Ability to communicate effectively within a team setting
- Ability to work unsupervised as needed
The work environment of a brewery is dynamic and ever evolving. The following are representative characteristics of the work environment an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job:
- The noise level in a packaging facility is frequently loud
- The employee works near moving mechanical parts
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment
- The employee works in a shared environment in close proximity to other team members
- Temperatures can be cold or hot depending on the season
- 401(k) + Employer match
- Paid time off
- UNION Craft Brewing is an Employee Owned Business. Opportunity available for a vested stock ownership program.
If you’re interested in this opportunity:
Please submit a cover letter telling us why you want to join the UNION Craft Brewing Team. Don’t forget to attach your resume. Send to HR@unioncraftbrewing.com
**UNION Craft Brewing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity and promote an inclusive environment. UCB prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type regarding; race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. We have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for workplace harassment.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- The company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee's job duties at any time at its sole discretion.
- This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.