Director of Hospitality
Alesong Brewing and Blending is a boutique, artisan brewery specializing in barrel-aged and Belgian-inspired beers with 100% of our production spending time in oak. Just over five years old, we have been fortunate enough to receive a number of awards for our beers, including 8 medals GABF and several other local, regional and national recognitions.
Currently managed and staffed by three founding partners, we are looking to fill a role as we operate a new urban tasting room in Eugene’s 5th Street Market District. This operates alongside our current Countryside Tasting Room and brewery in the rolling hills of the Southern Willamette Valley wine country, roughly 20 miles SW of Eugene. We are seeking to hire a talented and enthusiastic person to guide our hospitality efforts at both tasting rooms and provide support throughout the rest of the organization as necessary. While Alesong is small size, this role is critical to our success as we strive to grow our Direct-to-Consumer channels. It may evolve over time as we grow, and add new members to our team. Initially, you will work collaboratively with the company founders and over time evolve into a role of fairly significant responsibility and autonomy.
- Tasting room operations - Establish and maintain both tasting room processes and procedures as well as a general tasting room atmosphere and culture, while adhering to Alesong’s Mission Statement
- Educate customers on our beers and our process and train staff to proficiency
- Create and maintain a consistent and pleasant customer experience
- Hire, train, and schedule tasting room employees
- General operations of tasting rooms including, but not limited to: maintaining inventory, placing food orders, stocking beer and merch , creating menus, conducting tastings, providing education, maintaining appropriate food service, handling cash and POS management, and maintaining a clean environment
- Act as brewery host for industry visitors when founders are not available.
- Manage and coordinate live music program
- Work with the Administration team to plan, coordinate, and conduct special events including club releases, dinners, anniversary parties and other special events at tasting rooms
- Educate customers on our club process and encourage sign ups
- Work bar shifts at both tasting room locations as needed
- Coordinate, book, and schedule staffing for all private events and Tasting Room rentals and buyouts
- Private guided tasting operations
- Manage the Guided Tastings Program at Territorial tasting room by
- Communicating with guests before and after appointment
- Planning and preparing food and beer needed for Guided Tastings, and train and schedule staff needed for private tastings as the program grows
- Leading small groups of customers through tastings and tours in an intimate setting with the goal of introducing guests to our brand and increasing club membership
- Blender’s Circle Operations
- Work with the Administration team to coordinate activities with the Blender’s circle club
- Plan and execute quarterly club pickup parties
- Work with Administration team to create and host regular club-centric events
- Work with hospitality and industry peers to promote visits through referral and other programs
- Create and implement innovative ways to drive traffic and sales including private tours, special events, special promotions
- Conduct off-site tastings if necessary
- Other – as a small organization, you will be asked to contribute in other areas as assigned
- Hospitality experience (winery or brewery tasting room, restaurant, etc.)
- Passion for beer and customer service
- Experience hiring, managing and training teams to success with an emphasis on achieving goals
- Professional, warm and welcoming personal presentation
- Self-motivated and able to act independently to solve problems as they occur
- Team player enthusiastic about working together to grow a small company
- Ability to multitask while handling tasting room needs and office administration
- Availability to work weekends and some holidays
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite, basic POS processes, and familiarity with common social media platforms
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Degree in Hospitality
- Experience with financial management including tracking budget to actual performance against key tasting room metrics (visitor traffic, on site and off site sales, club signups)
- Advanced knowledge of beer and beer-making process
Reports to: Founding partners.
Schedule: 40+ hrs / wk. Heavier in Summer. Weekends and some holidays required.
Compensation: $40-50K DOE, company sponsored health insurance, 2 weeks PTO, 3 paid holidays, cell phone, monthly tasting room credit & beer benefits at releases
Desired Start date: ASAP
Submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application has been successfully submitted.