Department: Technical Services
Location: Tualatin Brewery
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Reports to: Technical Services Manager
Worker Category: Full-time
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Position Summary: The Quality Technician will be responsible for the verification of Quality Procedures and product specifications. Monitors sanitation, GMPs, and FSMA compliance. Assists in performing and coordinating product analysis and testing. Works closely with the production team and laboratory to ensure quality product in a timely fashion.
- Provide guidance, counsel and recommendations to employees within Operations/Production regarding GMPs, product specifications, and food safety
- Monitor Operations/Production adherence to GMPs, product specification, SOPs, SSOPs, and food safety
- Address all GMP violations with both production management and team members
- Obtain and maintain accurate records to determine consistency of product quality, compliance to regulatory agency requirements and documentation of Food Safety Plan
- Assist Operations/Production with the creation of Standard Operating Procedures and Standard Work Instructions
- Perform analysis on product produced within the plant as needed
- Collect products and samples for testing as needed
- Maintain accurate lab records and verify accuracy of testing samples, as needed
- Furnish appropriate accurate verbal and/or written reports to the Quality department and plant management regarding product/process quality and consistency, process capabilities, and Food Safety Plan
- Interact daily with production supervisors, operations supervisors and employees
- Inspection of production floor including ensuring that food safety and quality checks are performed
- Review and verify QA/QC records including: Receiving/shipping records, monitoring records, cleaning records and all Process Control Documents.
- Function as internal auditor to monitor the plant for compliance with FSMA and 3rd-party regulations and review for compliance with GMPs
- Manage, maintain, and improve Hold and Release Program and Production Corrective Action System. Help investigate root causes and suggest corrective actions. Follow up on corrective actions to ensure implementation.
- Conduct pre-shipment review of finished product
- Investigate customer complaints
- Act as back-up to Technical Services Manager for key food safety functions
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biology or related discipline
- Intermediate MS Word or Google Platform experience
- Previous food manufacturing experience is preferred
While performing the duties of this position, the worker is exposed to inside environmental conditions, hot fluids, pressurized vessels and transfer lines, strong odors, chemicals, and moving machinery.
- Ability to sit continuously at a computer
- Carry weight, lift - lift up to 5 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Taste/Smell - ability to detect and perceive fermentation and tea flavors and aromas
- Standing - ability to stand for long periods
- Ability to climb a ladder occasionally
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
About Brew Dr:
In 2006, our CEO Matt Thomas founded Townshend’s Tea Company with the idea to bring the various ways in which tea is prepared all under one roof. Two years later, he started Brew Dr. Kombucha in the kitchen of the teahouse. Today, Brew Dr. operates from a 50,000 sq ft brewery in Tualatin, Oregon and our products are sold in all 50 states and across Canada.
Explore tea, thoughtfully. Craft quality, tasty tea beverages with thoughtful care for our people, ingredients, and the planet.
Proud to be a B Corp:
Brew Dr. is proud to be the first national kombucha company to become a Certified B Corporation, joining the growing number of companies using business as a force for good.
Certified B Corporations meet rigorous standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance purpose and profit. Of the 40,000+ companies who have taken the assessment, only 5% passed in order to become B Corps. We’re proud to be in that 5%!
Your application has been successfully submitted.