Assistant Brewer and Cellarperson
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Job Function: Assistant Brewer and Cellarperson
Schedule: Full-time, Non exempt
Salary: Based on Experience
Manor Hill Brewing (MHB), a farm-based brewery in Ellicott City, MD, seeks to hire an experienced Assistant Brewer and Cellarperson. The duties of the position are:
- Receive training on our 15bbl brewhouse and be able to successfully brew to established SOPs and specifications
- All aspects relating to hot-side wort production including but not limited to:
- o Reading recipe, staging ingredients, milling grains, weighing hops
- o Mashing, lautering and graining out,
- o Boiling wort & all kettle additions and operations
- o Hitting target temperatures and gravities
- o Yeast harvesting, pitching and maintaining yeast health
- o Knockout, wort aeration and finishing
- Brewhouse CIP, routine and deep cleaning as scheduled
- Assist with routine preventive maintenance and repairs.
- Anticipate 2-4 turns (1-2 days) on the brewhouse per week, depending upon schedule
- Operate cellar equipment and perform tasks safely, efficiently, and consistently to maintain the highest possible quality standards
- Perform CIP/SIP cycles following established SOPs and protocols defined by MHB
- Perform all cold-side fermentation and conditioning management including, but not limited to, dry-hopping, adding adjuncts, fining, knocking off trub/yeast, yeast harvest, sanitary transfer, in-line filtration, carbonating, and conditioning according to the production schedule
- Monitor, measure and record all products in the cellar for: gravities, temperatures, fermentation changes, carbonation, and other pertinent data on a daily basis
- Maintain complete and accurate records for all products – and enter all data accurately on cellar log sheets and in EKOS.
- Must be a team-oriented person and be willing to adapt daily roles based on needs of the production team.
- Communicate regularly and openly with brew team including Director of Brewery Operation, Head Brewer and Lead Brewer to ensure product consistency, standards and schedule are met
- Maintain a clean, functional, organized, and safe brewery at all times
- Participate in group activities such as sensory tests, training, and production meetings
- Perform daily facility inspection checklists when assigned
- Follow SOPs at all times
- Periodically assist with packaging / line assistance
- 1-2 years professional brewery experience – preferably in production environment
- Forklift certification a plus, but not required – will train
- Detail-oriented and a meticulous record-keeper
- Clear understanding of fermentation science, brewery operations and expectations for the position
- Ability to maintain professionalism and flexibility when encountering unexpected changes
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Able to lift 55 pounds, able to move 165 pounds safely
- Able to work in loud, hot/cold/wet environment
- Willing to accept some schedule flexibility – no nights or weekend required
Manor Hill offers a competitive compensation package and benefits including quarterly bonuses, health insurance, 401k matching, paid time off, employee discounts on beer and merchandise, and monthly spend at company restaurants. Please email resume to Eric at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Owned, Farm Brewed