Upslope Brewing Company is a Certified B Corporation, which means we meet high standards of social and environmental performance, accountability and transparency. Through investment in our employees, continuous process improvement and a focus on innovation, we aim to deliver a high quality product, while prioritizing environmental stewardship and inclusion in our operations, brand and partnerships.
We are currently in need of a Packaging Technician to join our hardworking and fun-loving ream. The main responsibility of the technician will be operating back of line packaging equipment to ensure that all cans are being packed properly and efficiently in various packaging formats. This position is also responsible for helping set up the canning line for packaging runs in the morning and shutting down/cleaning procedures of the line at the end of a run. Packaging Technicians are in charge of various machines and responsible for their preventative maintenance, upkeep and upgrades of these machines. Packaging Technicians ensure proper quality and conditions of packaged product and aid in various other cleaning and production tasks as assigned by the Packaging Manager or Vice President of Brewing Operations. Other tasks include, but are not limited to: driving a van or truck to make deliveries between facilities and recycling plant; stepping in to help other Operators run their machines; event preparation; sustainability initiatives; etc.
Job Responsibilities/Duties (not limited to):
- Safely and efficiently operate, maintain and clean Hi-Cone 6 packer, iPak case erector, Hartness case dropper, Columbia automatic palletizer, Pearson box erector, Hamrick 12 pack can dropper, 12 pack case-sealer, depalletizer, pallet wrapper, vacuum lift, 2T Comac keg station, box erector and electrical/ standard pallet jacks (as well as forklifts after completing training).
- Participates in safety trainings and abides by safety policies.
- Ensures canning equipment and hardware are in functioning order and notify the Fill Operator, Packaging Manager, Shift Supervisor and/or the maintenance department in case of malfunctioning.
- Inspect quality of packaged product and assure it is fit for distribution - notify Fill Operator, Packaging Manager, Shift Supervisor and/or QC department about anything out of spec in the packaging process (i.e. Color of cans, quality of print on boxes, dirtiness on cans, leaking seams, dented/wrinkled cans, etc.)
- Assist Can and Keg Fill Operators with any startup and shut-down procedure. Follow closing clean-up check list and check out with Packaging Manager.
- Ensure the packaging area is kept clean and organized.
- Ensure packaging materials and equipment are kept clean and organized.
- Help Fill Operators accurately count inventory for runs.
- Safely handle and mix chemicals.
- Properly use personal protective equipment (PPE) when required– steel toed shoes, ear protection, chemical goggles/gloves, eye protection, back brace, etc.
- Use of software to clock in and out at appropriate times, check weekly schedules, and request time off.
- Helps implement and maintain a functioning 5S system for the packaging department.
- Helps maintain stock of packaging supplies by notifying Packaging Manager when inventory is running low using the 5S system.
- Constantly seeks ways to improve the efficiency of the canning process and minimize losses (with the consent of VP of Brewing Operations and Packaging Manager).
- Helps Kegging Operators when they are not needed for canning work.
- Help with various other tasks/projects when required (inventory counts, deep cleaning, maintenance, pickups and deliveries, etc).
- CIP/SIP of brite tanks.
- Each Canner Position has a different responsibility (see sheet attached).
- Takes initiative and can work efficiently without direction.
- 7-3 M-F
- 9-5 or 10-6 based on production needs.
- Shifts are on a two week rotation
Physical and Mental Demands of the Job:
- Must be able to accurately record packaged product amounts.
- Must be able to accurately record inventory counts.
- Must be able to work well alone and as part of a team.
- Must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time, safely work with chemicals (PPE and training provided) and exposure to varied temperatures, loud noise, and a general manufacturing environment. Upslope will make reasonable accommodations in accordance with the ADA.
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture:
Upslope offers a transparent and unique work environment with an emphasis on teamwork and innovation. It’s important to make sure each employee understands the impact they have on the mission. We work for beer, but get paid in dollars.
- Starting pay $18 - $20 hourly, with opportunities for overtime pay and a 90-day pay and performance review
- Paid Time Off, Sick Pay, Paid Holidays and Paid Volunteer Hours beginning 30-days after employment
- Medical/ Dental/ Vision/ Disability/ Life insurance with company contribution beginning 30-days after employment
- 401(k) with company match available immediately
- Free RTD EcoPass
- Free Beer (Daily taproom perks and monthly retail beer allotments)
- Merchandise discounts
- Discounts & Pro Deals on outdoor equipment & activities
- Professional Development opportunities
- And many more!
- A desire to contribute to a strong company culture that prioritizes employee wellbeing and environmental sustainability.
- Ability to work as a team and collaborate effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
- Flexibility, good communication skills, a positive attitude and a strong work ethic.
- Mechanical aptitude, basic problem solving and math skills are a plus.
- Ability to stand for 8+ hours with breaks and lift up to 50lbs (with assistance) is preferred and these traits can be developed on the job.
Still Apply If..
- You don't have the full experience outlined in the job description (or don't know what some of the terms are), we will fill in the gaps with onsite training.
- You are excited about our mission and core values but don't have prior factory / packaging experience, we can teach you what you need to know to be successful.
- If you don’t have proper safety equipment, we will provide what you need.
- You don't think you are a "typical" factory worker, have gaps in your resume, only possess translational skills or are shifting careers - simply include a little about yourself and why you want to work for Upslope as a header on your resume.
At Upslope, we’re committed to building justice, equity and inclusion into every aspect of our company. Our goal is to create the ultimate culture of belonging for everyone, regardless of your craft beer knowledge or number of powder days you crushed this season. We value what makes you unique and want to ensure that you feel encouraged and welcomed to apply, work and Après Everything™ at Upslope.
Upslope is an equal opportunity employer. We hire, promote, course-correct and terminate based on merit, performance and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including but not limited to: race, color, religion, age, veteran status, medical condition (including pregnancy and genetic information) sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability and criminal history (as our licenses allow.)
Shift Brewer at a BCorp in Colorful Colorado