Lead Brewer / Production Manager
Hill Farmstead Brewery is seeking a talented Brewer, ready to dive into a collaborative leadership opportunity in Greensboro, Vermont. This position includes managing our production team, vigilantly ensuring the cleanliness and organization of our facility, and operating our brewhouse, while also demanding deep knowledge and teamwork across all areas of our business. We require an excellent palate for tasting and quality control, technical prowess, along with the ability to keep records, clearly communicate instructions, implement checklists, set schedules, supervise and train production staff, and guide an efficient, positive team. You will work closely with our owner and other company leaders as well as the hospitality team to implement the company’s vision, values, and dedication to producing superlative beverages.
This management position is responsible for overseeing all functions and activities related to beer production while providing guidance and education for the brewing team. Responsibilities, outlined in more detail below, include such things as identifying equipment fixes or upgrades and continually honing processes to reduce errors and improve quality, consistency, and efficiency.
Ownership and the brewery director will provide regular development assignments and inflection inquiries. The ideal candidate must be excited to read books on management, and will demonstrate an unyielding aspiration to transform. With the employee’s assistance in finding the best fit, the Company will hire a third party Executive Leadership Coach to provide recurring coaching sessions to help the employee grow to their full potential.
Salary will be reflective of alignment with ideal qualifications and will allow room for growth, according to rate of application, and acceleration into the integration of leadership role.
- Degree in brewing/science/technology (or working toward) or equivalent experience
- 10+ years commercial experience across all aspects of the brewing process including chemistry and biology, yeast management and propagation, packaging, bottle conditioning, and quality control
- Familiar with Braukon (or similar brewhouse) and automation technology
- Highly communicative, socially graceful, proven leader with strong skills to supervise and motivate production team
- Familiar with our beers, aligned with our ethos, and motivated to adapt and grow with our business
- Within a comfortable commute or happy to relocate and join our small rural community
- Forever a student of the industry, with a continuous improvement mindset
- Demonstrated Growth Mindset and Transformational Drive
- Relentless love for beer with rigorous focus on quality and consistency
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently in a fast-paced hands-on environment
- Expert-level problem solving and troubleshooting skills with demonstrated root cause analysis ability
- Propensity to drive collaboration and partnership across all teams and departments
- Strong public speaking skills including company-wide communication and media interviews
- Ability to mentor and train less experienced members of the team
- Ability and willingness to adjust schedule as necessary to handle business needs, such as holiday weeks, weekends, or alarm coverage
- Highly organized with the ability to manage priorities and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel) and Google Suite (Docs/Sheets) and the computer skills to ensure data entry accuracy
- Has demonstrated experience in:
- Facilities management: advanced organizational skills and mechanical aptitude
- Managing and tracking inventory
- Selecting and ordering raw ingredients (can read and understand hop and malt analysis)
- Creating & implementing initiatives and SOPs
- Managing all brewery personnel: production scheduling, providing structured engagement with staff and facilitating individual performance reviews
The employee is eligible for and shall receive company benefits as outlined in the Employee Handbook. Benefits, as outlined, include Health Care, Retirement, Beer Allocation and Discounts, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance.
- Competitive Base Salary & Annual Bonus Program
- Health Insurance (MVP)
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) Eligibility with matching up to 5% (Roth optional)
- Life Insurance
- STD & LTD, and AD&D
- Employee is granted pro-rated PTO (Personal and Sick Days) at the start of employment.
- Vacation accumulation as outlined in the Employee Handbook. This position is offered Three Weeks of Paid Vacation at the start of Employment.
- Paid Vacations may be rolled over in accordance with the Employee Handbook but may not be redeemed upon termination of employment.
- Paid Holidays (off) are outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Anniversary Recognition (5 years/10 years, etc)
- Employee beer, merchandise, and food discounts
- Relocation Assistance