Head R&D Brewer
The purpose of this position is to ensure all Fort Block brewery operations run successfully, safely, and efficiently. The Head R&D Brewer oversees or delegates all operational aspects including but not limited to scheduling & staff management, task work, production planning & brewing, transfers, packaging, & shipment. Varying schedule to occasionally include weekends, evenings, holidays and extended hours as business dictates.
- Embracing the Mission, Vision, and Core Values of the company, and setting a positive example in all aspects of their role
- Building strong team cohesion by listening, learning, and coaching; enhances an environment of personal and professional achievement by always driving toward improvement
- Providing guidance and encouragement to all personnel in a positive and constructive manner
- Overseeing or assisting the Head Brewer with the hiring, training, supervising, and development of Fort Block brewery staff; managing schedules and workflows as needed
- Overseeing or assisting the Head Brewer and/or HR or VP staff with Fort Block brewery staff performance management, coaching, & corrective action
- Research and development - designing/developing new or improved production processes or methods, researching new equipment capabilities, experimenting with new brew types and formulations, and the supervision of those who also perform research and development activities, etc.
- Ensuring compliance from all brewery employees for all company policies and standards, with emphasis on safety and cleanliness
- Coordinate innovative collaborations with breweries/wineries/other companies in the northwest, other areas in the country, and internationally through networking and making relationships at events such as CBC, GABF, and other industry events. "
- Working with Sales/Marketing to forecast & set production schedules
- Ensuring all transfers and packaging occur as needed based on production schedules
- Oversight or delegation of timely purchasing or ordering of all raw materials & ingredients needed for Fort Block brew ops
- Bridging communication between brewery and other departments as needed (e.g. FOH staff education on cool upcoming beers, coordinating use of shared courtyard space, etc.)
- Development, revision, or oversight of all new recipe development on Fort Block (with help of Head Brewer as needed)
- Oversight or delegation of all Fort block brewery inventory tasks
- Oversight or delegation of all Fort block brewery cleaning & equipment maintenance/repairs/troubleshooting
- Building/assisting with buildout of new portions of the Fort Block breweries as changes occur; designing, upgrades, working w/ contractors, etc.
- Oversight of Fort block quality control/quality assurance
- Oversight or delegation of all Fort block brewery workflows relating to Orchestrated Beer (Obeer), e.g. recipe input, raw materials -> WIP > finished goods, inventory transfers, etc.
- Covering brewery shifts as needed
- Other duties as assigned
COMMUNICATION & PARTICIPATION:
- Maintaining high level of communication with supervisor, direct reports, and key team members
- Attending industry functions as required
- Responding positively and quickly to voicemails, emails, and staff/associate concerns in a timely manner
- Treating all employees with dignity and respect; contributing to an environment where all employees do the same
- Building relationships with outside partners to assure business objectives are met
- 21 years of age or older
- Ideally 3-5 years of leadership experience, and 3-5 years experience in a production brewing operations environment; extensive knowledge of the basic principles of production brewery operations, and a love of people management
- Ability to communicate in a high-noise environment
- General knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions associated with work
- Ability to safely operate brewery equipment, become Forklift certified within 15 days of hire
- Valid OLCC Servers Permit required upon hire; Cicerone Certified Beer Server Certification or greater preferred
- Ability to adapt to frequent changes in workload and adjust priorities quickly as circumstances dictate
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position
- Manual dexterity, auditory and visual skills, and the ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures
- Be able to remain in a stationary position up to 90% of the time
- Be able to determine accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of work assigned
- Be able to communicate with coworkers, successfully exchange information
- Be able to traverse the brewery, warehouse, and other areas of the Fort George campus up to 90% of the time
- Be able to use latches, hand tools, clamps, hoses, etc., requiring manipulative skills and hand-eye coordination
- Be able to transport equipment and product up to 25 pounds up to 75% of the time
- Be able to operate large machinery including but not limited to pumps, forklifts, pallet jacks, keg washers/fillers, canning line equipment, etc.
- Be able to transport equipment and product up to 50 pounds up to 50% of the time
- Be able to transport equipment and product up to 100 pounds up to 15% of the time
- Be able to ascend/descend including but not limited to stairs, step-ladders, rung ladders, vehicle roof access and fixed ladders, truck running boards, extension-ladders, and ramps
- Environmental Conditions
- Constantly works in an indoor, concrete setting
- Constantly works around wet, slippery, and/or elevated floors or surfaces
- Constantly works in hot, cold, noisy, and/or fast-paced setting
- Constantly operates and works around large machinery including but not limited to pumps, chillers, forklifts, pallet jacks, keg washers/fillers, canning line equipment, etc.
- Constantly works with or is exposed to rapidly-moving mechanical parts, hot liquids, toxic/caustic chemicals/gases with fumes and/or airborne particulates, liquids/gases under high pressure, sharp objects or tools, etc.
- Occasionally works alone in a small, confined, enclosed, and/or isolated setting
- Occasionally works in an outdoor setting; varied weather conditions are expected
**Please note that this job description is meant to give a basic understanding of the position and does not cover every part of the job duties and requirements. Fort George reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this position at any time.**
***Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions***
Your application has been successfully submitted.