This job is no longer accepting applications.
In alignment with City Barrel Brewing Company’s values, this position pursues excellence in all aspects of our production and tap room beer operations. The
BREWER LEVEL 3 is responsible for upholding City Barrel Brewing Company’s Mission Statement:
City Barrel Mission Statement: To profitably deliver the highest quality hoppy, wild, and sour beers and cultivate extraordinary experiences.
- Own it
- Do your best, and next time do it better
- Create knowledge through friendly education
- Be excellent to each other
- Innovation through collaboration
Your core work will be in facilitating brewery operations.
- Daily gravity readings on active fermentations
- Daily PH readings on active fermentations
- Daily Zahm & Nagal C02 readings on vessels under carbonation
- Brew House Operations – all responsibilities of wort production (including milling, mashing, boiling, grain-out, brewing house vessel clean-in-place (CIP), and detailed record keeping in Ekos brewery management software.
- Cellar-related Operations – all responsibilities for fermentation and conditioning management, including fermenter/brite beer tank (BBT) CIP & sanitation, monitoring fermentation, dry-hopping, fruit and adjunct additions, barrel management, yeast management, transferring beers between tanks, monitoring conditioning and detailed record keeping.
- Packaging Operations: Kegging, keg washing, canning, & bottling.
- Assist sales department by loading cans/kegs into delivery van
- Strict adherence to sanitation protocol of the brewing equipment, including cleaning and sanitizing, maintenance and troubleshooting, including pumps, heat exchangers, gas regulators, keg couplers, etc.
- Inventory Management - Perform weekly inventory updates of all cold product and raw materials
- Follow Ekos brew schedule and recipes. Keep it up to date and accurate, and work in conjunction with the Director of Brewery Operations and Brewer 1 to ensure continuous availability of beers and timely release of specialty beers.
- Execute proper sampling and analysis of product in accordance with recipe schedule, monitor vital fermentation critical control points including but not limited to target gravity, pH, temperatures and pressures.
- Further develop quality control programs across the business with goal of continuous improvement in product and process.
- Raw Material management - organizing grain for following days brew day
- Maintain proper draft line cleaning and maintenance at the bar.
- Act as a leader, policy keeper and implementer, and as a professional.
- Communicate with all employees, guests, supervisors, and vendors in a respectful, timely, and professional manner.
- Management and performance of brewery sanitization, cleaning, and maintenance.
- Represent the company at local events and festivals, attend events, set up & serve, and clean up, as needed.
- Perform proper cell management and yeast handling & pitching procedures.
- Act as Safety Representative for production and set safe working conditions, attend regular safety meetings and keep safety logs.
- Live every one of City Barrel’s five core values.
- Other Duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Industry education preferred (not required)
- Proven brewery knowledge including chemistry & biology
- Strong problem solving skills and mechanical & electrical troubleshooting skills
- Self-motivation as well as ability to work efficiently as part of team
- Adherence to workplace safety procedures and ability to work in confined spaces and strong knowledge of brewery hazards
- Ability to execute and manage details for multiple projects while maintaining alignment with and focus on company level strategy and goals
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Basic computer knowledge, specifically with Google Suite – Gmail, Docs, Drive, Calendar and the ability to effectively use scheduling and budget systems
- Ability to learn and use Ekos brewing software through video training and hands on practice.
- Demonstrate attention to detail, with the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and apply appropriate judgment in a fast paced environment
- Ability to motivate those around to work as a team to ensure production goals are met.
- Ability to effectively respond to feedback from customers, peers, employees and management
- Ability to consistently maintain professionalism, collaboration, and self-motivation
- Ability to perform brewing and inventory operations on Ekos
- Duties are performed in both indoor and outdoor settings, with events often taking place in the elements in all four seasons
- Occasionally exposed to wet, cold and/or humid conditions; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud
- Must be able to lift 65 pounds without assistance and maneuver 170 pounds safely with proper body mechanics
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and reach with hands and arms, stoop, crouch, bend, twist.
- Ability to work near moving mechanical parts safely
- Ability to work in conditions that are wet, humid, hot, cold, loud, and with risk of electrical shock
- Safely handle caustic and acidic chemicals and sanitizers and know proper time, temperature, and application.
- Move large quantities of food products with carts, dollies, hand trucks, and other moving equipment
- Ladder climbing, bending, twisting, reaching, pushing, pulling, and performing repetitive motions
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus in various levels of lighting
- Ability to wear and furnish personal protective equipment for personal use including eyewear, non-slip footwear, hearing protection and others as required.
Additional REQUIREMENTS to consider
- Full time flexible hours are mandatory (able to work days, nights, weekends, holidays)
- Occasional car travel within a 100-mile radius required (beer festivals)
- The selected candidate must pass a post offer, pre-employment background check
- You must be at least 21 years of age to work for City Barrel Brewing Company
Your application has been successfully submitted.