Digital Content Creator
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Surly Brewing Co. is seeking a full-time Digital Content Creator to join our team in Minneapolis, MN. In the perfect world, this person’s job summary would be represented in an engagement optimized Instagram Reel or Tik Tok but job descriptions are still fairly analog so a block of text will have to do.
The Digital Content Creator will be responsible for producing the content that brings Surly’s brand presence to life. This position will focus on video and photo creation for digital and occasional broadcast channels including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, the dot com, and local television. To unpack this a bit further, the person that takes on this position will set creative direction and produce video, photographs, and sometimes graphics, and support the strategy of day-to-day and campaign social, digital, and brand content in collaboration with Surly’s marketing team.
When you’re not showing the world who Surly is through social and digital channels, you’ll work closely with the entire marketing team on strategic brand priorities and building our community. You’ll report into the Communications Director and be a member of the Brand Marketing Team.
Interested in learning more? Read on.
- Video Content Creation – Visuals are worth a thousand words, and since character count is limited and attention spans are short, media has to do the heavy lifting. Luckily, you’re a natural with the camera and know your way around design tools. Your primary subjects will be beer, people enjoying beer, food, the Twin Cities/Minnesota, the beer hall, employees, and promotions. You understand how to tell a story visually and have the artistic and editing skill to bring it to life. All this to say, you can create a video that will help Surly’s fans learn more about the brewery’s products, brand and will be compelling enough to drive them to the store. Your videos draw people in for longer than 5 seconds and engage on a level that a simple text-based story could not. You work within Surly’s brand guidelines to help build awareness, affinity, and adoption of Surly’s brand priorities.
- Photography—You have a way of bringing your vision to life and sharing what you see with the world. You can turn a humble pint of beer into a work of art, and you can capture feeling, movement, and emotion in a still image. You understand composition, lighting, and exposure. You can tone and edit photos to highlight your desired visual outcomes—and you can do all this on a tight deadline. You’re good with people and can put your subjects at ease. You have experience photographing food and beverages, but can just as easily pivot and make portraits, shoot merch and events. You can make lasting images that make consumers stop and then take action and you can do this all under the Surly brand guidelines.
- Social Media Strategy —You support the when, where, why and how we share with Surly Nation across our current social media channels: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Digital Marketing Strategy – Partnering with the marketing team, you help guide strategy, visual content and execution for our website, blog, e-commerce site and email marketing efforts. There is no channel left unturned when you’re working on a*buzzword* integrated marketing strategy.
- Digital Brand Evolution – Sure, the core four of social media are great but WHAT COMES NEXT? You’ve already autotuned a “how-to” or personal story so how will you use that to grow the Surly brand and keep us reaching new audiences, as long as they are 21+? You’re responsible for staying one step ahead of social media trends and viral moments to influence how we evolve the brand.
- Marketing Strategy & Execution – As the point person on digital content, the visual direction you develop with the creative team can drive campaigns and lead to their success. You’ll collaborate with the full marketing team to develop strategies and campaigns that build awareness and drive beer sales. When they’re ready for the world, you’ll shape the vision.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Independence—You’re self-motivated and eager to charge ahead. We’re individual pillars that come together to work as a team to bring ideas to life unconstrained by anything except our own imagination.
- Creation— Your middle name might as well be creative because you never stop thinking about new ideas and how to best bring them to life. Some days you’re not even sure if you have a left brain because everything that comes out is art and ideas.
- Grit—You’re not afraid to take risks, and to choose the path less travelled, but you’re willing to stick with it, even when the going gets tough. Making beer is fun, but every day isn’t always perfect. We all have setbacks but it’s how we choose to learn from them that makes the difference.
- Respect—You give a damn about other people. You actively work to improve your workplace, community, and customer experience. You act with integrity. You think beyond yourself and appreciate the differences that make this world a remarkable place.
- Excellence—You go above and beyond to surprise and delight your audiences. You love to outperform expectations. You see every day as a chance to be better than you were the day before.
- Bachelor's degree required; marketing, communications, design, or new media degree preferred
- 1-3 years of digital marketing and content development experience
- Ability to develop digital content (photo, video) to engage audiences
- Curiosity to learn new processes and tools
- Proficient knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Lightroom, InDesign, etc.)
- Experience filming and editing video with basic equipment
- An understanding of website development, using WordPress or similar tool, HTML or minimal coding
- A tendency to drink craft beer above all else, a plus
- Professional portfolio of video and photo examples including a link to portfolio site on resume
- The Digital Content Creator will work traditional office hours, in a traditional office environment, along with some night and weekend event support. Reliable transportation isn’t a deal breaker but is important to the role. Participation at relevant brewery and other company events is assumed.
COVID Policy: Surly is instituting a new vaccination policy as a term of employment. By Monday, Sept. 20, employees will need to provide digital proof of completed vaccination. If an employee chooses not to provide vaccination proof, they will need to complete a COVID PCR test twice weekly and share those results with HR. This policy applies to all current and future employees. Also, all employees will be required to wear masks during their work hours/shift, inside, at all Surly worksites. Due to the constant change in federal, state, and local guidance, the vaccination policy may change on or before Sept. 20
Your application has been successfully submitted.