Retail Assistant Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Retail Assistant Manager is primarily responsible for the development and merchandising of retail goods sold onsite at Highland Brewing, Highland at the S&W Market, and Highland’s online store. In addition to Highland retail merchandise, the Retail Assistant Manager is also responsible for managing inventory and merchandising of packaged beer sold at Highland. The Retail Assistant Manager creates a retail experience at Highland that compliments the Highland brand story, engages the guest to take Highland home.
The Retail Assistant Manager is a member of the Hospitality Management team and can serve as Manager on Duty for daily operations at the Taproom or the S&W. An Assistant Manager is scheduled to open and close each daily shift and manages Ambassadors in a service-oriented team. Assistant Managers are responsible for monitoring daily sales, labor, service standards, sales initiatives, and cash handling. Assistant Managers are expected to show mastery and enthusiasm for Highland’s guest experience including duties comparable to a host, server, busser, bartender, or event staff.
Full-Time, Hourly, Non-exempt; Eligible for bonus based on merchandise revenue goal
Essential Job Functions
- Proactively contribute to the growth of Highland’s guest experience by creating an engaging and profitable retail experience that represents our brand and our guests’ lifestyle
- Collaborate with the Hospitality Director to develop seasonal style decks for each venue
- Create inviting, creative, highly visible retail displays that help tell the Highland brand story
- Develop upsell opportunities, merchandise bundles, and/or point of purchase items to encourage more items sold per transaction and higher ticket averages
- Proactively monitor inventories to ensure selections are available to prevent out-of-stock items
- Coordinate with suppliers and vendors to maintain competitive pricing and expedited orders
- Ensure online orders are processed, packed, and shipped out no more than 2 days after order
- Respond accurately and efficiently to guest inquiries regarding merchandise and online orders
- Maintain gift card inventory and supplies
- Manage and record employee merchandise credits and discount codes
- Accurately and efficiently record merchandise cost, quantity, and retail price into POS software
- Accurately and efficiently request purchase orders for merchandise, approve invoices and perform monthly/quarterly retail inventory
- Train Hospitality Staff on retail systems, merchandising and service elements and maintain SOPs for best practices and expectations for staff in retail areas
- Gather market data and analyze merchandise trends to ensure Highland’s retail store offers competitive pricing and desirable merchandise
- Collaborate with Coordinators and Managers to facilitate custom retail items specific to campus amenities, events, beer releases and tours in accordance with budget guidelines
- Collaborate with Hospitality Maintenance to maintain a safe and functional merchandise area with appropriate lighting, shelving, signage, and display space
- Attend weekly Hospitality lead team meeting
- Show mastery in POS software and retail operating systems
- Serve as manager on duty (MOD) for public open hours and proactively monitor daily service
- Oversee Hospitality staff during service which includes managing changes to the shift schedule, leading pre-shift, service position and break rotation, staff cuts to facilitate volume and labor expenses, staff incident reports, continuous service coaching and other staff needs as required
- Oversee guest relations during service which may include entertaining special guests, offering complimentary products or services, conflict resolution, enforcement of ABC laws and regulations, proper reporting of guest incidents, and other guest needs as required
- Oversee daily financials during service which includes daily sales reporting, cash handling, safe counts and reconciliation, payments to vendors, processing refunds and comps, staff tip reporting and other daily financial obligations as needed
- Record daily shift notes to communicate challenges and opportunities to Hospitality Managers
- Demonstrate and enforce Highland’s service to maintain a positive, collaborative work space
- Perform campus tours for guests and vendors as necessary
- Understand and adhere to North Carolina alcohol laws and permits specific to Highland
- Maintain knowledge of the Highland brand story, beer styles, campus amenities, family history to educate and communicate our mission and vision to guests
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned.
This position is 30-40 hours, five days per week. Weekly schedule is dictated by administrative volume and service needs. Public open hours vary but are daily and most holidays. Ability to work nights and weekends may be required.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Bachelor’s degree in Retail Management, Business, Communications, or a Marketing related field is preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age in accordance with NC ABC laws
- Two years of experience in a retail store is required and one year of merchandising, purchasing and management experience in a retail store is preferred
- Enthusiasm for craft beer and delivering an incredible guest experience is required
- Experience working in hospitality under North Carolina COVID requirements preferred
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Accuracy with cash handling and credit card transactions
- Creative, organized with a keen attention to detail and retail merchandising experience
- Project management and systems oriented with ability to develop SOPs
- Strong work ethic and ability to take initiative to identify problems and offer solutions
- Positive attitude with collaborative nature and ability to work with all types of people
- Open minded and flexible with the ability to adapt quickly with new skills and procedures
- Excellent time management and verbal/written communication skills a must
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 applications including Teams
As this position is working in a brewery, the physical demands of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Standing for long periods of time
- Bending, twisting, reaching overhead, lifting up to 30lbs frequently & up to 50lbs occasionally
- Working with cleaning chemicals
- Working in both indoor and outdoor service areas with inclement weather at times
At-Will Employment: Employment with Highland Brewing Co. may be terminated by either Highland or the employee at any time with or without cause or notice.
Your application has been successfully submitted.