This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Founders Brewing Co., we continually challenge ourselves into places that most won’t go. We strive to be unique, to break barriers and challenge what is commonly accepted as the “norm.” It’s this mindset that has created our culture here at Founders and lead us all to a lifestyle of no regrets. Why can’t we become who we choose to become?
Our collective goal is to be one of the most highly recognized and successful breweries in the United States.
An important part of reaching this goal is by recruiting, hiring and retaining unique individuals from a variety of backgrounds possessing broad and diverse skill sets. Quite simply, we believe that these people make the world a better place – and Founders a better company.
Our work community is made up of dedicated employees that bring their best to work every day to make the most delicious beer on the planet. To continually strive for greatness, it is essential for us to have a team that reflects the diverse communities we love, serve and to whom we raise our glasses.
We believe in fostering an atmosphere of empowerment and where every Founders team member can belong…bringing their full, authentic selves to work each and every day. It’s the Founders way. Sound interesting? If so, take the next step in becoming a member of the Founders team by checking out our open positions below.
This position will perform all necessary functions for beer production and dispense at the Detroit Founders Taproom.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Operates, cleans, sanitizes, and organizes all brewing equipment and production areas to world class standards.
- Performs and monitors all beer production including, but not limited to: recipe formulation, ingredient selection, raw material ordering and stocking, wort production, throughout fermentation and cooling, clarification/ageing, carbonation, packaging and performs any and all necessary steps without assistance.
- Works with Brewmaster to determine recipe formulation. Brewmaster review and approval required for all new recipes.
- Works with Brewing, Cellar and Warehouse Teams in GR to have necessary raw materials delivered and available according to schedule. Inventory planning and requesting to be performed via the normal business systems (Obeer).
- Cleans and maintains draft beer dispense systems to world-class standards during non-business hours every 2-3 weeks.
- Works with Packaging Team in GR to arrange for clean kegs to be delivered for manual packaging, or safely operates keg washing equipment to clean and sanitize kegs as needed.
- Works with Yeast Team in GR to ensure yeast is available when needed. Strives to maintain house yeast cultures in optimal health as needed.
- Creates and follows standard operating procedures in the creation of beer to be delivered to the Taproom.
- Inputs data and maintains permanent logs for all brewing procedures.
- Brews, cellars and packages 1-2 times per week.
- Checks and adjusts as necessary all brewing equipment, including minor maintenance.
- Orders all needed raw materials including yeast and clean sterilized kegs through inventory transfer requests from our main brewery or from other approved suppliers.
- Keeps all raw materials stocked, organized, labeled and rotated.
- Packages beer into kegs, cans and bottles as necessary.
- Actively pursues optimization of all processes to increase efficiency, safety, sanitation and quality.
- Reports to and coordinates with the Taproom GM on the daily work schedule including all PTO.
- Engages with Founders retail staff and customers to promote Founders culture and beer educational opportunities.
- Except for specific Taproom GM pre-approval, the work schedule will be from 10-6, M-F but would replace one working day with one Saturday night (noon to 8pm) per month.
- Assists Detroit TR Management Team with beer ordering, stocking, rotating and dispensing of all non-Detroit made beer.
- Writes beer descriptions for all new beers prior to release to TR.
- Coordinates with the Maintenance department regarding any required servicing of equipment. Some management of outside contractors for maintenance may be required.
- Actively participates in sensory of Detroit beers, and reviews sensory feedback with Brewmaster to improve future brews.
- Completes all required transactions in Orchestrated Beer and any other software programs FBC requires.
- Stays current on industry developments and technology advancements.
- Professionally represents Founders at all times including at industry related events; some travel is required.
- Collaborate with Crafted in Michigan Partners to create quarterly Crafted in Michigan Series beer.
- Work with Detroit Management and Beer Supply Manager to determine bottling schedule of any DTRX beer.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- HS Diploma or equivalency required.
- Extensive experience in all phases of production brewing required. (Brewing, cellaring, packaging)
- Must be a great communicator.
- Must possess a mechanical aptitude.
- Candidates should be serious about safety, quality and cleanliness.
- Candidates need to be able to lift up to 100 pounds, be able to twist and turn, be able to reach over your shoulders, and work in standing/walking/ crouching position at a steady pace and love to clean.
- Ability to competently operate a computer.
- Availability to work days, nights, and weekends is necessary.
Your application has been successfully submitted.