Position Summary: By supporting production operations in a “customer service oriented” role, this position identifies, evaluates, develops, designs, and implements improvements, projects, optimizations, process changes, and new technologies to achieve increased productivity, enhanced production flexibility and capacity, improved quality, safer operations, and improved compliance. Executes projects that include specifying, selecting, building, installing and commissioning equipment and/or working with engineering design firms to implement projects. Provides daily support to the Brewing, Packaging, Operations and Maintenance teams to ensure all aspects of production are operating correctly. An ideal candidate will be able to work well with other engineers as well as multiple internal and external customers to expedite the completion of logistically complex projects and maintain reliable/efficient production operations.
- Manages and executes projects related to brewing, packaging, and quality processes. These processes include milling, conveying, mashing, brewing, cleaning, fermentation, kegging, bottling, labeling, canning, packaging, palletizing, and water/wastewater operations.
- Prepares scope definition, capital cost estimates, operating cost savings, investment justifications (ROI), and cost value analyses.
- Prepares scope of work/contracts for outside engineering firms and contractors. Manage and supervise these groups’ work, schedules, work quality, and performance.
- Works closely with operating department customers to design improvements to increase efficiencies while enabling a growing range of recipe, beer styles and packaging options.
- Assists in identifying and implementing future innovations in the automation of the brewery, improve efficiencies, reduce costs and the brewery’s environmental footprint.
- Manages and executes projects to install, commission and improve PLC controls, instrumentation, SCADA and MES interfaces (Ignition preferred).
- Applies various programming languages necessary for utilizing the SCADA system including programming PLCs (programmable logic controllers) and the software (Ignition) used as an interface.
- Specifies, programs, diagnoses, repairs, and tunes Distributed Control Systems, Programmable Logic Controllers, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System, and Computer Based Monitoring and Controls Systems.
- Develops schedules, work break down structures, deliverables, budget and resource plans. Develops the scope of assigned projects and execute projects on-schedule and under budget.
- Prepares P&IDs, plans, specifications, technical analysis and other documentation needed to define the scope of a project or to resolve a technical issue.
- Reviews blueprints and works with consultants, engineers and contractors on various facility upgrades; provides recommendations for changes or additions; designs systems; plans installations; oversees construction, commissioning, and placing new systems, equipment, improvements into operations.
- Assists in the design, build, installation, commissioning and troubleshooting of all equipment and processes.
- Assists Production and Maintenance Departments in repairing technical problems during production operations by troubleshooting, identifying and repairing it quickly.
- Provides technical support to a facility operating 24/7
- Effectively manages multiple projects with overlapping tasks and work independently with minimal supervision. Proper balancing of priorities is critical to ensure that project performance aligns with the needs of the business.
- Prioritizes workload to ensure maximum business effectiveness is achieved.
- Assists in achieving department KPIs, business and production goals.
- Works with the brewery management team to lead process improvement initiatives.
- Mentors/coaches all personnel within the department related to improvements/projects or support under this person’s responsibility.
*Salary range varies based on experience and skillset.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required in Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical, Engineering or a Physics or Computer Science degree.
- At least 5 years for a Process Engineer of related experience and/or training.
- Must have engineering experience gained through the direct support of a manufacturing or product development function, including designing hardware, tools, fixtures, machinery and/or their controls.
- Hands-on experience with the configuration and troubleshooting of the instrumentation and controls of large scale processing equipment and the associated PLC controls is preferred.
- Experience with food processing equipment is preferred.
- Extensive experience with brewing equipment is very desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and CAD (AutoCAD preferred).
- Proficiency with Allen Bradley and/or Siemens PLCs and controls hardware is very desirable.
- Familiarity with SCADA platforms (Ignition preferred).
- Professional Engineer (PE) certification a plus.
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt or higher is very desirable.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and written.
- Occasional travel required to other Karl Strauss Brewpub Operations or to equipment manufacturers including outside the United States
- Physical Demands: Heavy Work
Your application has been successfully submitted.