This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Deschutes Brewery, we unapologetically make award-winning, damn tasty beer. We are determined to innovate, challenge the status quo, and be thought leaders at every turn. Our company culture bonds us together and creates conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of core values: Love It or Dump It, One Team One Dream, Blow Our Customers' Minds, Time for Better Is Now, Celebrate, Crafted for Community and Own It! If you are on our team, it means you are part of creating something extraordinary. You're part of Deschutes. This shift will be Sun - Thurs 8am - 4:30pm.
We are currently recruiting for a QA Lab Technician. The Quality Lab Technician position meets the needs of the Quality Department by conducting lab operations to support brewing, packaging and warehouse production of damn tasty beer. Examples of lab operations:
- Beer analysis to determine alcohol content, total package oxygen, etc.
- Microbiological tasks
- Auditing packaging line operations and working with operators to take immediate corrective actions as needed.
- Maintain and manage sensory samples and sensory library
- Coordinate daily sensory testing and analyze and communicate results
- General housekeeping in all areas the Quality team is responsible
This position is based out of Bend, OR.
What You'll be Doing:
- As a member of the Deschutes Brewery Quality team you will learn multiple skills from well qualified co-owners and be able to apply that knowledge to your problem-solving teams, troubleshooting efforts and daily work.
- You will be working in a fast paced, team environment where you will be working with minimal supervision and operating under GMP and Food Safety rules. Training provided!
- Your daily work may include, but is not limited to:Conduct packaging line quality control checks, including container integrity checks, beer quality checks and packaging line audits.
- Operate packaging inspection equipment on the packaging lines.
- Operate, calibrate, and maintain portable quality control equipment.
- Operate lab equipment: Beer analyzer, gas chromatograph and Orbisphere
- Beer analysis: International Bittering Units measurements, wort color, etc.
- Perform microbiology tasks such as media preparation, sample plating, equipment sterilization, etc.
- Maintain sample collection and beer library.
- Communicate and report product nonconformities.
- Other duties as assigned
- Support Deschutes Brewery strategic initiatives and SMART Goals
- Additional job duties will change as needed to cover Quality Team operations and all internal and external customer needs.
- This position is full-time (40-hours/week) 4/5 days a week and may at times require a flexible schedule.
What You'll need for this Position:
- Four-year college degree in Fermentation/Food Science or related disciplines or
- 3-5 years related manufacturing and/or lab experience or
- Any combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to handle the position requirements.
- Success working in a team environment, working with diverse personality and communication styles
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage one's time
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in Packaging / Brewing
- Experience in a team-based production environment
- General lab experience
- PC proficiency with Excel, Word, and Outlook
- 401k Match of 4% vested immediately!
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan Participation
- Affordable medical, dental and vision
- Pro deals with local companies
- Awesome co-workers!
- $1k Sign On Bonus
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please feel free to contact HR@deschutesbrewery.com to discuss your application.
Your application has been successfully submitted.