Optimization Product Developer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Our mission at The Boston Beer Company is to bring the highest-quality products to the U.S. beer drinker. To answer that mission, we are creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the differences in both our people and our brands. Our diversity makes us stronger, and when you bring your authentic self to work, we are a stronger, more innovative, and more sustainable company & community.
As a fast-paced, growing company with a strong family of brands (Samuel Adams, Dogfish Head, Angry Orchard, Twisted Tea, and Truly Hard Seltzer), we seek constantly to challenge the status quo. We are always looking for hardworking, talented, and passionate people (that means you!) to join our team.
We are The Boston Beer Company, and together we are heavy.
We are currently hiring a Product Developer, Optimization in Boston, MA.
The Optimization Product Developer is responsible for protecting our winning profiles for our rapidly growing Blend/Beyond Beer portfolio. Through development, we optimize current formulas to mitigate supplier risk and increase operational efficiency of our Blend products. This position works closely with the New Product Development group and the production teams to ensure smooth transitions, scalability, and to help with bench scale testing of process changes. This person will work cross-functionally with Marketing, Legal, Procurement, Brewing, Quality, and other departments to ensure that the product can efficiently and safely be produced at the production Breweries. This person will also follow the product life cycle and evaluate opportunities to improve ingredients or processes that will improve product integrity or processing efficiency.
What You'll Do:
Manages Product Development through the four stages of the development cycle focusing on formula and process optimization of current Blend profiles established by our New Product Development team:
Product Strategy Development
- Evaluate technical feasibility and any processing issues to consider
- Maintains beverage development laboratory, managing the upkeep, troubleshooting, and acquisition of instrumentation needed to create the highest quality products at the bench scale
- Works with procurement and communicates directly to suppliers to source ingredients
- Organizes and leads product development testing, obtain direction or approval, and sends reports and updates. Consults with sensory team for testing design as needed
- Works with Sensory to test samples as needed, interpret associated data and make appropriate recommendations
- Understands legal implications and guidelines to products
- Assist Engineering, Production, Accounting, Purchasing, Marketing, Labeling, and QA in the completion of Blend development related projects
Product Transition to production
- Works with Legal and QA to coordinate all required nutritional and state testing
- Ensures compliance with government regulations, certification requirements and TTB and FDA label registration
- Ensures consistent regulatory compliance with all production processes and materials
- Support new product plant introduction / commercialization while maintaining compliance with quality and food safety mandates
- Coordinate plant trials for first production runs
- Designs, coordinates, and executes new product line test runs. Analyzes line test results and collaborates with process engineers, production staff, packaging, and Marketing specialists to ensure manufactured product is within desired target cost parameters, performance, and organoleptic attributes
- Executes and Analyzes line test results and recommends appropriate adjustments to product formulas and/or processes to keep manufactured product within desired target cost parameters and organoleptic attributes
- Monitors initial production runs until product parameters are met
Product Launch and Stability Evaluation
- Develop and oversee shelf-life studies, including coordination and scheduling of sample preparation, bench top testing sensory panels and consumer testing
- Interpret associated data and make appropriate recommendations
- Troubleshoots and recommends modifications to existing product formulas and/or processes to improve productivity, quality and/or product cost
- Generates preliminary, tentative, and finished product specifications for new processes
- Modifies existing product specifications reflecting changes to formulas and/or processes
- Executes bench scale trials for optimization projects
- Manages production trial and transition process for any trials that pass testing at the bench scale
- Develop critical partnerships with external partners and consultants to insure successful, timely and effective product development
- Ensure compliance with BBC standards for periodic third-party testing of products for compliance with TTB standards
- Responsible for GMP & Lab Maintenance/Upkeep of Mix Blend Laboratory
- Displays excellent project management skills by tracking and organizing all documentation and communication relevant to active projects
- Responsible for managing temporary employees that are hired to assist with lab functions as needed
What We're Looking For:
- Bachelor of Sciences degree, preferably in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, Fermentation Science or Engineering
- 3+ years of related industry experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel is required
- Report writing and good communication skills is required
- Proven ability to work in a flexible and changing schedule
- Must possess the technical skills to work in a lab, pilot plant, and manufacturing scale environments
- Ability to life at least 30 pounds (1 case of beer). Ability to stand for long periods of time (8-hour workday)
- Master’s degree
- Prior experience with flavors
- Experience with project management tracking systems such as Workfront and/or Microsoft OneNote
Our people are our most important “ingredient.” We not only have to hire the best, but we have to reward, develop, and retain them too.
In addition to generous healthcare on day one, stock options, 401k and more, Boston Beer Coworkers have the following perks available:
- Tuition reimbursement
- Fertility/Adoption support
- Commuter Benefits in Boston
- Free financial coaching
- Health & Wellness program and discounts
- Professional development
- Free beer!
We also have a variety of benefits including a competitive compensation package, extensive training programs, excellent healthcare, a discounted stock purchase plan, and a 401K program with a generous company match. Not to mention, there’s the free beer too!
Boston Beer Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to help ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veteran’s Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who wish to request accommodation in the job application process can contact email@example.com for assistance
Your application has been successfully submitted.