This job is no longer accepting applications.
Employment: Full-Time (40 hours/week)
As a laboratory technician at Cape May Brewing Company, you will be an integral part of a team that is responsible for ensuring that all corporate product-quality standards are being met and exceeded. You will do this by performing daily physical and microbiological testing to assure that critical operations and products are conforming to specification, communicating to supervision when they are not, and providing technical guidance to the operational teams as needed. You will also represent and promote Cape May Brewing Company in a positive manner to guests, local residents, and the general public.
To apply, click here!
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead by example in upholding the Company’s Core Values and promoting a positive and constructive working environment
- Daily sample collection, testing and documentation of in process beer and finished goods in accordance with all corporate quality standards, analytical testing schedules and procedures
- Routine yeast management (cell counts, viability, pitching rates, propagation, etc.)
- Microbiological testing (PCR and traditional plating) of fermented beer, Brite Beer and finished goods.
- Conducting routine sensory testing and training for employees on ‘true-to-brand’ and off-flavor identification
- Recognize and document emerging or continuing out of specification situations and report them, in a timely manner, to the area supervisors and senior leadership. Where possible make suggestions for corrective actions
- Participate in regularly scheduled departmental meetings to review issues and propose solutions
- In conjunction with the Quality Lab Manager and other area supervisors, generate SOPs as required
- Perform routine cleaning and maintenance of analytical equipment in the lab and other operational areas
- Ensure that the work area is clean and organized
- Continually strive for improvement by looking for ways to improve safety, quality, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness
- Assist in other areas of the brewery on an as-needed basis
- 21 years of age or older
- Bachelor’s Degree in Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry, or related field (coursework in brewing and/or fermentation science strongly preferred)
- Two (2) years experience in a food or beverage QA/QC lab environment (HACCP or Food Safety training a plus)
- Enthusiasm for craft beer
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit for long periods of time
- Squatting, crouching, bending, kneeling
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 lbs.
- Regularly required to reach with arms and hands
- Required to handle objects, tools and controls
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Manually manipulating laboratory equipment including beakers, pipettes, pouring vessels
- Access, input, and retrieve information from a computer
- Working under time pressure
- Encountering frequent interruptions
- Using effective verbal communication
- Working in hot and cold temperatures
- Working on uneven surfaces and wet conditions
- Handling hazardous chemicals
- Working around noisy machinery
Your application has been successfully submitted.