Job Title: Head Brewer
Reports to: Managing Partner
Hoptown Brewing Company is a micro-brewery obsessed with making great beer, offering great service and creating an unforgettable experience. Community is an integral part of Hoptown. Our philanthropic commitment allows us to give back locally, supporting those non-profit organizations our customers feel most passionate about. We are a community gathering spot hosting activities on a daily basis keeping the customer experience fresh and entertaining. While our taproom is the heart of Hoptown, we also distribute to select retailers and participate in festivals, non-profit events, and private gatherings from time to time.
The Head Brewer is responsible for beer production, cellar work, beer finishing, and packaging on a daily basis. The Head brewer is responsible for ensuring we consistently produce high quality products. The Head Brewer will serve as liaison with suppliers, beer trade associations, the media, and consumers.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Develop new beer recipes that meet market demands and trends
· Operate brewing equipment efficiently, accurately, and safely to produce premium beer according to our proprietary recipes, and standard operating procedures (SOP’s)
· Develop production schedules to meet sales demand
· Oversee and uphold standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and safety standards for the Brewhouse
· Oversee sanitation of the facility and ensure clean, sanitary equipment and working environment
· Oversee raw material inventories
· Manage the packaging of beer to support taproom and outside sales
· Oversee brewery cleaning schedule, preventative maintenance, and repairs
· Provide ongoing training for brewhouse employees
· Conduct Brewery tours as needed
· Be a brand ambassador for Hoptown Brewing Company
· Attend weekly staff meeting and strategy planning session
· Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
· Minimum 3 years brewery experience (Assistant Brewer, Lead Brewer or Head Brewer)
· Deep knowledge and understanding of the brewing process, sanitation, yeast health and fermentation and the cellar process
· Experience with Deutsche Beverage brewery equipment and technology helpful
· Experience using Ekos production management software desired
· Experience with brewery quality assurance and quality control plans
· Strong leadership and communication skills to a variety of audiences
· Ability to manage resources and staff
· Inherent desire to innovate and learn
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Exceptional organizational skills, detail-oriented with process-oriented thinking
· A self-motivated approach, with strong work ethic, requiring limited oversight
The Head Brewer will spend time on the Brewhouse floor, in the taproom and on occasion in the community promoting the brewery. While most of the work is inside of the brewhouse, there is some required work outside of the building as well.
This is a physically demanding job. Described below are representative requirements that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
· Lift and/or move up to 55 Lbs. and be able to move kegs weighing about 170 Lbs.
· Frequent bending, stooping, pushing, lifting, kneeling and reaching
· Ability to stand for long periods of time
· Ability to work in wet, hot, cold conditions
· Ability to work in a consistently loud environment
· Ability to work safely with potentially hazardous chemicals
· Climb stairs several times a day
· Frequent washing of hands
The following positions will report to the Head Brewer:
· Assistant Brewer
What Hoptown Brewing Company Associates Can Expect
At Hoptown Brewing Company, we pride ourselves in creating a superb working environment. As a member of the HBC team, you can expect to be:
· Compensated well and fairly based on responsibilities and position
· Involved in the evolution and growth of the Company
· Informed about Company decisions and performance as well as your own performance through bi-annual performance reviews
· Empowered to make decisions that are in line with overall Company goals
· Trusted to execute your duties responsibly and to be an ambassador of the Hoptown Brewing Company brand
· Challenged with increased levels of responsibility commensurate with outstanding performance
· Valued and appreciated for your contributions
· Rewarded for your performance
· Provided with mentorship and learning opportunities related to craft beer
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Hoptown Brewing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment is decided on the basis of individual qualifications, job requirements, merit and business need without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, gender identity, nationality and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Beer A Good Neighbor