Director of Brewing Operations
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Lone Pine Brewing is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of DIRECTOR OF BREWING OPERATIONS.
Lone Pine Brewing is seeking an experienced, motivated DIRECTOR OF BREWING OPERATIONS to lead our growing production team at our Portland and Gorham, Maine locations. Come join a thriving brewery and enjoy a rewarding, fast paced work environment. We are excited to find an individual with excellent attention to detail, meticulous record keeping skills, and a team-first mentality to oversee all aspects of beer production from grain to package. If you have the following qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities listed, we would like the opportunity to review your resume.
The DIRECTOR OF BREWING OPERATIONS reports directly to the Chief Officers and oversees the entirety of the production staff including wort production, cellar, packaging, and quality control departments.
- 5+ years of experience leading a production brewery of 10,000+ bbls annual production
- 7-10+ years in the brewing industry is preferred
- Degree in Brewing Science or related field is preferred
- Proven track record managing brewhouse, cellar, and packaging operations
- Experience with quality control and lab procedures
- High level of organization, attention to detail, and strong communication and analytical skills
- Excellent leadership skills with the proven ability to train, inspire, and motivate employees
- Experience with production forecasting, scheduling, and management
- Experience with of budgeting and calculating cost of goods sold
- Experience working with contract brewing partners
- Strong knowledge of the craft beer and brewing industry
- Capable of adapting to business needs and solving problems quickly and efficiently
- Experience with Google suite/workspace
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel
- Direct and supervise the daily operation of the brewhouse, cellar, and packaging operations across multiple locations
- Manage and expand pilot systems and sour barrel-aging program
- Work with management on production planning and forecasting
- Develop and maintain product production schedules
- Maintain a high standard of facility cleanliness and organization
- Create and ensure Standard Operating Procedures are adhered to and improved upon
- Identify and address opportunities to increase operational efficiencies
- Lead special projects
- Intuitively the overall business strategy into operational goals and objectives for the brewery
Facility and Staff Management:
- Manage and schedule production and packaging staff
- Facilitate interviewing and hiring of new staff members
- Maintain, update, and facilitate training standards for new or promoted staff members
- Coordinate repairs and maintenance of brewery equipment with vendors and tradespeople
- Work positively and collaboratively across all Lone Pine departments
- Conduct annual performance reviews with all direct reports
- Create and maintain a positive work culture
Safety and Compliance:
- Maintain brewing areas to ensure operations comply with internal quality, sanitation, and safety standards, as well as FSMA and OSHA regulations
- Comply with and enforce the use of all proper safety equipment and processes including PPE and proper chemical handling techniques
- Ensure compliance with all Alcohol and Tobacco, Tax, and Trade Bureau (TTB) standards and required documentation
- Adhering to and enforcing COVID-19 related safety regulations including wearing a mask at all times and physically distancing from coworkers and contractors whenever possible
Material Sourcing and Handling:
- Oversee key sourcing of raw materials, and packaging materials and maintain supplier relationships
- Manage inventory, storage, and ordering of raw materials, packaging materials, and finished goods
- Manage scheduling, product quality testing, and coordination with third party contract brewers
- Manage hop, can, and other raw material contracts to ensure adequate supply based on production schedules
Record Keeping and Reporting:
- Mange financial information related to cost of good sold, budgeting, and forecasting
- Oversee product data record keeping, organization, and presentation
- Maintain brewing, cellar, and packaging documentation in an organized and complete manner
- Assist in the improvement and creation of brewery management systems and software to streamline ordering, scheduling, and reporting
- Prepare monthly production, quality, and budget presentations to management
Product Development and Quality:
- Work with management to develop recipes and process protocols for new products
- Work within tight quality control parameters to ensure standards are met
- Ensure proper yeast handling systems remain in place
- Oversee product quality measurements in the lab
- Identify and execute analytical and microbiological testing at critical control points using in-house equipment
- Coordinate outsourcing of lab tests to USM’s QC2 Beer Quality Collaboratory
- Take responsibility for quality and consistency of finished products
- Work to uphold the core values of Lone Pine Brewing Co.
- Represent Lone Pine at marketing events, festivals, trade shows, conferences, and be capable of travel
- Professionally represent Lone Pine in media interviews, videos, and publications; while being capable of confidently and comfortably speaking intelligently about Lone Pine’s history, processes, and craft beer in general.
This is a physically demanding position requiring the candidate to stand, kneel, crouch, climb stairs, and use hands for intricate tasks. Candidate must be able to navigate small, awkward, and close quarters. The ability to effectively communicate and avoid hazards is imperative.
- Must be able to stand for 10 hours per day
- Must be able to frequently lift 55lbs of general materials to shoulder-height
The DIRECTOR OF BREWING OPERATIONS is a full time position available starting February 1st. Lone Pine offers competitive salary and benefits based on experience and aptitude. Benefits include access to group health, dental, and disability insurance benefits, paid vacation, and paid volunteer hours. Relocation packages available for the right candidate. Lone Pine Brewing Company encourages diversity and individuality. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, professional references, and possible start date to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.