This job is no longer accepting applications.
We are hiring for a full-time farmer at Hobbs Farm for the 2021 season. Hobbs Farm is a small, diversified farm that grows for the restaurant and brewery at Throwback Brewery, in addition to a CSA and on-site farm stand. In the past, we have grown vegetables, herbs, flowers, hops, and fruit, and raised meat and dairy animals on nearly 5 acres of land. Though we have chosen not to pursue USDA Organic Certification, we adhere to its principles and strive for sustainability in all aspects of the farm. Our ideal candidate will possess strong communication and leadership skills, a love for and interest in sustainable agriculture, and a drive to work collaboratively with our farmers and other team leadership to achieve Throwback’s goals and vision.
This role could be perfect for a summer job for a college agriculture major or a student interested in farming. Alternatively, it could be a role that leads into a full-time job.
- Assist with all aspects of small-scale, sustainable agriculture –greenhouse and hoop house work, seed starting, soil prep, transplanting, cultivation, irrigation, disease and pest controls, harvest and processing.
- Work with the farm team to efficiently and accurately harvest, wash, and package produce for kitchen and brewery, CSA shares, on-site farm stand, and farmers markets.
- Work with kitchen and brewery teams to allocate harvest and assist with food storage.
- Record keeping of organic practices, equipment logs, crop yields, and crop allocations to make future improvements on the farm
- Help with livestock related care – daily chores, vet and farrier visits, harvest, and processing.
- Safely operate and maintain tractor and other farm related equipment
Required qualifications and attributes:
- Strongly motivated by our company culture and values
- Previous experience with gardening or farming -in New England a plus!
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills, high attention to detail.
- Proactive mindset; calm, creative and resolute problem-solving.
- Enthusiasm, good attitude, trustworthiness, personal integrity, and honesty.
- Ability to regularly lift and carry 50 lbs comfortably and safely.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and both independently and with a team.
- Interest in farming as a lifestyle or career.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience
- Opportunity for advancement for the right candidate
- Farm produce, shift beers, and employee discount
- Potential for on farm, discounted housing available to the right candidate
Please email us at email@example.com with your work experience, which of our values most resonates with you and why, and the best time to contact you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.