Coronado Brewing Company is looking for an enthusiastic, quality focused, innovative and passionate Head Brewer to lead our growing production brewing team in San Diego, CA. This is a hands-on leadership position, integral to the success of the business and operations. The Head Brewer must be comfortable as an active participant in all facets of brewery production operations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
- Manages day-to-day production operations with a heavy focus on organization, cleanliness, and maintaining a positive working environment.
- Ensures products meet the highest quality standards.
- Leads new product development via recipe formulation, innovative techniques, and collaboration with team members throughout the organization.
- Manages, schedules, and trains new brewing team members.
- Plans and manages production schedule to efficiently meet production goals ensuring there are not out of stock situations.
- Builds strong team cohesion by maintaining a positive attitude, being engaged, approachable, and highly communicative.
- Sources and manages inventory of all raw materials and maintains strong partnerships with raw material vendors.
- Maintains situational awareness of utilities: boiler, R/O filter, liquor tank levels, as they relate to daily operations and correct any issues as they arise.
- Maintains and creates SOPs as needed to ensure that all brewing, cellar, and QC processes are completed by team members in a consistent, safe, and efficient manner.
- Ensures that the brewery equipment and production area is kept clean, organized, and in good working order to meet quality, sanitation, and safety standards.
- Reviews, approves, and submits all department expense reports and invoices within the required accounting timeframes.
- Maintains meticulous records for all brewing operations.
- Strives for continuous improvements in beer quality, consistency, and cost.
- Works closely with Sales and Packaging teams on the production brew and cellar schedule and effectively communicates any changes.
- Manages production using Orchestrated Beer (OBeer).
- Creates, verifies, and maintains Brewhouse and Cellar Bill of Materials (BOMs).
- Manages all aspects of the personnel schedule, including, but not limited to staffing appropriately each day, taking PTO requests into account, ensuring correct amount of budgeted, non-overtime hours.
- Actively communicates any delays or issues pertaining to brewhouse or cellar activities to necessary departments.
- Ensures yeast management parameters are followed throughout the entire process.
- Participates in or delegates monthly inventory counts of all raw materials and reconciles any variances between OBeer and physical counts.
- Identifies capital improvements to increase the overall effectiveness of brewing operations.
- Flexible scheduling to work day, night, or weekend shifts when necessary.
- Team oriented with strong communication skills.
- Passion for craft beverage production including but not limited to beer, cider, seltzer, etc.
- High degree of passion for quality, process improvement, and attention to detail.
- Mechanically inclined with equipment operation experience and strong ability to troubleshoot.
- Strong physical ability – able to frequently lift 55# grain bags and service equipment, sometimes requiring bending, reaching, crouching, crawling.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 7-10+ years of brewing experience, 5+ years of leadership or management experience.
- Strong technical brewing background with formal brewing or engineering education a major plus.
If interested and qualified, please attach a resume and cover letter and send email
Your application has been successfully submitted.