The Shift brewer is responsible for all duties required for the production of wort. The brewing process can affect the quality of beer. Ensuring quality is the shift brewer’s primary focus. The Shift brewer is responsible for monitoring quality of raw materials, milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, whirlpooling, and knockout in an aseptic manner. The Shift brewer is responsible for communicating with the cellar that the tank to be brewed in to is ready to fill. The Shift brewer is responsible for monitoring temperatures and oxygen levels throughout the entire brewing process from mash in through completion of knockout. Other duties of the Shift brewer include internal and external cleaning of tanks, maintaining pumps, gaskets, valves, cleaning floors, maintaining grain out system and its cleanliness, general cleanliness of work areas. Any task in the brewhouse or cellar deemed necessary.
- Attention to Detail
- Ethical Conduct
- Communication Proficiency
- Initiative & Learning
- Collaborative & Adaptable
- Organizational Skills
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Perform all brewhouse operations, including
- Come in prepared to work. Understand the day’s objectives by communicating with other Shift brewers, Cellar persons, and Lead brewer.
- Proper personal protective equipment must be worn during the entire shift.
- Follow recipe guidelines for producing wort.
- Confirm status of brewhouse before taking over wort production from previous brewer.
- Work with Lead brewer and Head Brewer to adjust recipes as needed to meet specifications.
- Clean and sanitize knockout hoses and heat exchanger.
- Monitor liquor tank levels and temperatures.
- Weigh and handle all ingredients to produce wort while maintaining high quality standards.
- Maintain proper functionality of mill and grain handling and storage system.
- Notify Operations Manager or Head Brewer of low inventory items.
- Confirm cleanliness and sanitization of fermenters before knockout.
- Coordinate with the lab, Lead brewer, and Head brewer any adjustments to recipe based upon lot changes of malt and hops to reach desired specifications per recipe.
- Monitor wort PH and gravity throughout brewing process. Alert Lead brewer and Head brewer of any variances out of specification.
- Removal and disposal of all spent materials from the brewing process.
- Maintain accurate and detailed brewing records.
- Communicate with Head brewer, Lead brewer, Lab technician, Cellar persons, and Packaging department throughout the day to keep the day organized, running on time, and able to maintain a good workflow
- Primary focus is to safely produce wort and provide a safe working environment, which allows everyone to work safely and with minimal stress.
- Cleaning of brewhouse area and washing of equipment, floors, and tools to comply with cleanliness and sanitation standards.
- Follow all SOP and safety protocols.
- Make observations of efficiencies and inefficiencies and provide recommendations to the Lead/Head brewer.
- Make recommendations for equipment and process with formal reports or an e-mail.
- Contribute to improvements and processes required to gain efficiency and quality assurance in the brewhouse.
- Contribute to the evolution of the production department.
- Complete special projects assigned by supervisors.
- Continue working the brewhouse to learn and improve the current brewing protocols.
- Remain calm, flexible, and able to work through setbacks and emergencies.
- Ability to simultaneously coordinate a wide range of activities in a hectic and fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to know when to ask for help from other Brewers, Cellar persons, Lead brewer, or Head brewer if help is needed to prevent mistakes and ultimately get the job done.
- Able to work through challenges by setting a professional and upbeat example.
- Communicate clearly with co-workers and managers, verbally and written.
- Frequent problem solving.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge regarding the brewing process and innovation, beer styles and evolution, overall functionality, progression, and innovation of our industry.
- Continued education through attending company sponsored events and utilizing online resources such as the Brewer’s Association.
- Register any issues or pertinent details for the next shift in the brewery logbook.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Actively supports Wormtown, team goals, objectives, and culture.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Preferred Education and Experience
High School diploma or GED. Diploma or certificate in brewing or fermentation science or related field (or equivalent experience). At least one year of experience in the Brewing industry, Food & Beverage industry, or Manufacturing. Understanding of brewing, cellaring, and filtration processes, as well as CIP, sanitation, and sterilization techniques, and understanding of specific beer process terminology Forklift-certified.
This job operates in an active manufacturing environment. This job may be either indoors or outdoors or both. This role routinely uses heavy equipment, such as a forklift
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee may frequently lift and/or move items over 30 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move items up to 75 lbs. The employee will regularly use repetitive hand and wrist motion. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Full time position.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Don't Worry Be Hoppy