Experienced Production Brewer
At Deschutes Brewery, we unapologetically make a lot of award-winning, damn tasty beer (over 250,000 barrels per year)! We are currently looking for Brewers to join our team at our facility in beautiful Bend, Oregon! The brewer position is responsible for the brewing process for both Deschutes Brewery and Boneyard beers! This includes preparation of raw materials, through the brewing and fermentation processes, and up to clarifying beer and making ready for packaging. This is a full-time, benefit eligible position including medical, dental, vision, 401k, ESOP, and paid vacation and much more! (More benefit details further below)
Brewing is a tough but rewarding career. There are often long hours, with very physical work in a variety of temperatures. But, as brewers, we are tasked with creating liquids that inspire, satiate, and bring joy to the drinker. Our work is important. We create liaisons. Liaisons that bridge the end of the workday with play, spur new relationships and deepen existing. Liaisons that bend newness to comfort, stress to relaxation and differing opinions to productive debate. All that, plus, don't forget we create liquids that excite the taste buds and turn meals into feasts.
However, unpacking how we accomplish all this reveals significant effort. The hours are long and the work is hard. It's a physical process and the best beer can only be made if the ideal schedule for the beer, not the brewer, is followed. We need someone with a strong work ethic, attention to detail and a curiosity and openness to improve not just the products and process but also themselves. With these traits, you'll be ready to take on the following Core duties and responsibilities:
- Assures optimum beer quality. Does so by following standard operating procedures (SOP), filing non-conformities, suggesting process improvements, staying abreast of brewing communications and process changes, and attending brewers' meetings as schedule allows.
- Manages daily tasks to meet production needs, including cleaning and sanitizing equipment, reading and following production schedules, operation of centrifuges, yeast harvesting and disposal, bottle conditioning, and ensuring finished beer meets specifications for packaging
- Documentation and data entry for all processes in the brewhouse and cellar
- Coordinate work with other departments (brewhouses, cellars, packaging, QA and warehouse)
- Engage in the never-ending quest of cultivating the most remarkable guest experiences through brewing damn tasty beers
- Constantly challenge the stuck, boring, mundane. And don't just challenge, but bring the solutions and initiative to make a difference.
- Get involved with company-wide initiatives.
- Continually gain knowledge of the craft beer world and share that knowledge.
Requirements of the position:
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent required
- Ideally a graduate of a fermentation science, engineering, general science or other related field is preferred
- At least 3 years of previous production brewing experience
- Able to frequently lift 55lbs to approximately waist height and tilt up to 200lbs
- Able to work for extended periods of time in a physical setting requiring repetitive lifting and wrenching, walking, and being exposed to hot and cold environments
- Consistently positive attitude
- Able to work independently
- Exceptionally organized
- Excellent communicator
- Keen attention to detail and quality
- Solution driven
- Flexibility in schedule, ability to work rotating shifts including nights and weekends
What's In It for You?
- Competitive Compensation based on experience and education.
- Additional $3 for hours worked between 6pm-6am
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, active after 30 days (full-time only)
- Vacation, Sick, and Holiday Pay
- Health Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Assistance Accounts
- 401k with a 4% company match, vested immediately
- Employee Stock Ownership (be a part owner of Deschutes Brewery!!)
- Up to 50% discounts at Keen, Ruffwear, Outdoor Research, HydroFlask, Boot Barn, Dovetail Workwear, and more!!
- Deschutes Brewery and Boneyard merchandise and food discounts
- Uniform stipend
- Keg discounts and of course - free beer!
- Being part of one of the best (and award winning!) Breweries in Central Oregon
- Recently voted one of the BEST places to work in Bend, Oregon and the #1 brewery!
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please feel free to contact HR@deschutesbrewery.com to discuss your application.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
To brew moments of joy and perpetuate a sense of belonging.