Fullsteam Kitchen Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Reports to: Director of Tavern Operations
Who We Are and What We Do
Fullsteam’s mission: to craft distinctly Southern beer that celebrates the farm and food traditions of the American South. We express our love for community and the land through the Southern Beer Economy. Through the act of commerce we foster community and agricultural pride, create wealth, and encourage entrepreneurship within the post-tobacco South.
And though our mission is lofty, we aim to keep it all fun. At the end of the day it's beer: the beverage of celebration, backyard gatherings, good food, and good people.
Fullsteam’s Core Values
1. Think like an Optimist.
2. Seek Truth and Beauty.
3. Speak with Quiet Confidence.
4. Listen with Empathy.
5. Be Present, Productive, and Fun.
These values aren’t just talking points: they permeate and inform our culture, our hiring, and our decision-making.
Do these values and our mission resonate with you? If so, please read on!
Who We’re Looking to Hire
Fullsteam Brewery’s Kitchen Manager leads the Kitchen staff, manages recipes, production, and inventory, and works to ensure smooth food service execution every service.
This person must be able to reflect a spirit of teamwork and embody Fullsteam’s core values through their kitchen leadership and daily work. They are as capable of jumping on the line to help on a busy night, tracking cost of goods in Excel, managing a kitchen team, and readily available to review kitchen performance with Fullsteam’s upper-level management.
• Manage the kitchen’s day-to-day operations within budgeted guidelines and to the highest standards
• Preserve excellent levels of internal and external customer service
o Embody and promote Fullsteam’s core values
o Identify customer needs and respond proactively to their concerns
o Receive constructive criticism – no matter the source – with grace, discernment, and wisdom
• Provide two-way communication to the kitchen team, and nurture an ownership environment with emphasis on motivation and teamwork
• Oversee the employment and management of the kitchen staff. Ensure adherence to Fullsteam’s standards in the areas of hiring and orientation, scheduling, training, coaching, performance management, professional development, and daily shift routines for all kitchen employees.
• Develop growth within the kitchen team. Develop the kitchen staff’s technical skills through leading by example, consistency, continuous communication and feedback, and professional development planning.
• Manage and train the kitchen staff, ensuring appropriate scheduling to allow for full kitchen coverage. This role is not intended to be a regularly scheduled cook on the line every day, but should be ready and willing to jump in whenever necessary, and keep a regular and routine pulse on the kitchen and assist as needed.
• Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that Fullsteam standards are met. Ensure quality of ingredients being used, freshness, and proper rotation of items, proper technique from prep to plating, and proper ticket times and portioning.
• Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow all health and safety regulations including
o HACCP- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point
o NC/Durham County Food Code
o Count on Me NC
• Report to management regarding sales results and productivity, and be prepared to ideate on potential growth opportunities
• Always be exploring alternative revenue avenues for F&B
• Manage inventory and kitchen budget
o Create and maintain an ordering schedule that allows for full availability of all necessary ingredients throughout the week and weekend.
o Order food through large-scale purveyors and appropriately document all invoicing
o Create and maintain relationships with local farmers, sourcing in-season ingredients throughout the year.
• This position will be growing as the department and brewery grows, and other projects and responsibilities may be added at the company's discretion.
• At least 3+ years experience as a kitchen member, preferably in roles increasing in responsibility
• A culinary school diploma or degree in food service management is a plus, but experience and knowledge are more important, and a must
• Skilled in traditional cooking methods, ingredients, equipment, safety, and procedures
• Working knowledge of various computer software programs (Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Point of Sale software)
• Ability to spot and resolve problems efficiently and effectively
• Kitchen production and processing — knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs management, and other techniques for maximizing the effective production and execution of foods.
• Obtain ServSafe certification within six months of employment, if not already certified
• Mastery in delegating multiple tasks and managing a team in a fast-paced environment
• Communication (both up and down the organizational structure) and demonstratable leadership skills
• A passion for consistency and an eye toward fine detail
• Ability to understand, track, and report on financial targets: were they met? Were they exceeded? Where can improvements be made to ameliorate any problematic situations?
• Guest-oriented and service-minded
• Capable of standing for long periods of time
• Able to lift 50 lbs.; able to assist in the lifting of 165 lbs.
Career and growth opportunities
• GROWTH on Rigsbee -
Although this position skews heavily to administrative, supervisory and executive functions, an ideal hire would learn the food vision of ownership as they step into their role. Once comfortable with their daily duties and knowledge of our customer base, seasonally appropriate specials and menu adjustments would also fall under their purview, with a natural progression to the role of chef and added creative freedom.
• GROWTH with Fullsteam -
Our company is poised to grow into additional food and beverage spaces. An ideal hire would embody the Fullsteam Way and grow professionally into a leadership role across multiple locations, ultimately supervising a team of Kitchen Managers across up to 4 locations.
Your application has been successfully submitted.