Outworld Brewing is a sci-fi/fantasy-themed brewpub in Longmont, Colorado. We brew Belgian, German, American and classic beer styles. Outworld Brewing’s beer portfolio includes 6 year-round ales, 2-4 lagers and 6 seasonal beers.
We are currently seeking a Head Brewer with 10+ years of brewing experience and 5+ years' managerial experience as Lead/Head brewer. Employment can begin immediately. We encourage women to apply.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for all aspects of brewery operations from grain to glass;
Operate a 20 bbl two vessel steam jacketed brewhouse with (6) 20 bbl fermenters and (6) 20 bbl bright tanks; 1 10 barrel mixing tank.
· Perform quality control checks and lab analyses of beer components at various stages of brewing;
· Sanitary sampling, water and biochemical analysis with focus on beer health, Quality Control, Quality Analysis, clean and safe brewery practice including fastidious CIP and adherence to SOP (standard operating procedures);
· Evaluate the quality of raw materials used for brewing, sourcing hops and maintaining vendor relationships; Manage and control inventory for ingredients, supplies and packaging;
· Maintain tax records, inventory, ordering as well as brewing/production logs for federal, state and in-house use;
· Support distribution contracts, supervise beer storage, loading, delivery, and adherence to delivery schedules;
· Oversee bottling/canning processes and adherence to delivery schedules, ensure customer satisfaction;
· Co-manage/ support aspects of taproom and oversee tap procedures and tap line maintenance
· Liaise with public, consumers, media, industry contacts, trade associations, and suppliers;
· Maintain industry relationships, attend events, be the professional face of Outworld beers;
· Showcase Outworld Brewing Beer, interacting with potential customers and giving brewery tours;
· Develop novel beer offerings by keeping a finger on the pulse of craft beer consumer tastes and demands and work with the team members to develop new beer recipes to meet customer demand;
· Identify Key Performance Indicators and manage key performance goals, making sure targets and goals are met;
· Assume responsibility for compliance with OSHA standards and Public Health food safety requirements;
· Oversee brewery maintenance, creating and adhering to maintenance schedule on the production line;
· MOST IMPORTANTLY: Train and manage brewers, tasting room staff, and management on brewery operations, and take responsibility for staff skill development.
The successful applicant will have:
• A minimum of 10 years' experience creating and brewing at least ten styles of beer
• A minimum of 5 years' experience managing a brewery
• Experience creating and updating Standard Operating Procedures
• Experience installing, configuring and testing new brewhouse, tanks and fermenters
• Experience brewing on a 15 bbl+ system
Formal Education Related to Brewing
• A degree in Fermentation Sciences, Microbiology, Chemistry or related area
of specialized knowledge
• Mastery of the brewing process, yeast management, maintenance and cleaning procedures
• Deep understanding of the biochemical processes of malting, mashing, fermentation and flavor
• Deep understanding of water chemistry and how it impacts brewing
• A high level of comfort using one or more integrated brewery software solutions
• Developed beer recipes that delight our patrons, educate the palate, and pair well with Outworld Brewing culinary offerings
• Scaled up existing beer recipes
• Experience having created exceptional quality beers
• Experience maintaining consistent quality across batches
Exemplary Work Ethic & Attitude
• Pride in the highest quality workmanship
• An unstoppable drive to do your best
• A natural attentiveness to details
• Ability to thrive in a collective environment as much as when working alone
• Ability to pass on to others an impassioned and motivating beer making ethos
• An honest, altruistic, genuine character
Excellent Native Skills
• Sharp critical thinking skills
• A high level of technical talent
• Well-honed troubleshooting skills, anticipating problems before they arise
• A demonstrated capacity for inventive, innovative and effective solutions
Highly Developed Communication & Management Skills
• Ability to represent Outworld as the primary contact point for the brewery
• Natural enthusiasm and passion as Outworld's brand ambassador'
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• A capacity to train brewery employees with compassionate skill
Amazing interpersonal skills with everyone-- colleagues, industry contacts, customers and the public.
Agility, Flexibility & Multitasking Skills
• As much love for cleaning, maintenance, managing, inventory, lab work, cellaring, packaging and interacting with the public as you do for brewing
• Ability to deftly handle multiple simultaneous projects and responsibilities.
Ability to Handle Physical Demands
• Ability to lift 60 lbs. multiple times per day
• Ability to lift or helping to lift 200 lbs. on occasion
• Ability to stand and walk continuously throughout the day
• Ability to reach over head and shoulders, bend/stoop, twist/turn throughout the day
• Ability to work in indoor temperature extremes, humidity and water
Ideal Interpersonal Chemistry & Cultural Fit
• Good chemistry with Outworld founders (Terran Order of Tappists/Tappist Munks)
• Overwhelming love for all things beer and food is essential
• Sci-fi/fantasy geekdom, either nascent or fully raging
• An open-mind and generally well-adjusted colleague.
• Ability to work weekends, late nights, and be on-call
• Availability to handle the time demands involved in running a Brew pub with production and distribution
Compensation will be no less than $65,000/year, but could be more depending on qualifications, skill, experience and production record
Interested applicants may send a cover letter, (3) professional references and a CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!
* * * * * * * *
This job posting/advertisement is not inclusive of all responsibilities, skills, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with this position. While this job posting/advertisement is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, management reserves the right to modify the position or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change. This job posting does not guarantee an offer of employment.
Employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sexual orientation, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, or any other applicable status prohibited by federal, state or local laws.
Your application has been successfully submitted.