QA/QC Lab Tech
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Jack’s Abby Brewing is hiring for a QA/QC Lab Tech at our production facility in Framingham, Massachusetts.This position involves performing quality control tasks in the lab and on the production floor. This role is critical to the daily functioning of the brewery and any applicant must be comfortable interacting with different departments and individuals within the brewery. This position does require specific training and experience pertaining to lab work and safety, please read the job description carefully to be sure this position aligns with your experience and skill set.
The position sometimes requires weekend and evening availability, based on experiment, project or business need. Please apply with a cover letter and resume, including professional references.
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Counting and recording yeast cell numbers and viability
- Calculating and analyzing yeast pitch values
- Maintaining long term yeast stores and multiple strains
- Sterile sampling of beer and tanks throughout the fermentation and lagering process
- Microbiological plating and plate analysis
- Gram staining/catalase/oxidase testing
- Making and maintaining sterile media stocks
- Performing PCR on in-process and finished beer
- Wild yeast and sour culture management
- Running and maintenance of the DMA-Alcolyzer
- Running and maintenance of the spectrophotometer
- VDK analysis
- Fill volumes
- Can seam analysis
- CO2 and dissolved oxygen readings
Temperatures and gravities of actively fermenting tanks
- Forced fermentations and monitoring carbonation
Calibration and maintenance of a variety of analytical equipment
- Maintaining updated logs and spreadsheets
- Identifying and troubleshooting issues that arise
- Improving the brewing, cellaring, and packaging processes
- Assist in ongoing organization and growth of sensory programs
- Participation in sensory programs
Support R&D Projects
- benchtop flavor trials, development of cider and seltzer programs, other R&D projects according to business needs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General understanding of statistics.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and Google Apps, with capacity to learn new software.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to think critically and troubleshoot.
- Ability to work in a loud, temperature variable environment for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Knowledge working with cleaning/laboratory chemicals with necessary safety precautions.
- Maintaining a clean and organized laboratory environment.
- Adaptation to new tasks and help adopt new procedures as the brewery’s QA/QC program grows.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and some evenings.
- An enthusiasm for the craft beer industry is a plus.
- Multilingual (Spanish and/or Portuguese) is a plus.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in microbiology, biology, biochemistry, food science, related field, or equivalent experience.
- 1-3 years of work experience in a quality control/quality assurance position in the brewing or food/beverage industry is required.
- Experience operating under a laminar flow cabinet/biosafety cabinet/sterile air space a plus.
- Any formal brewing education is a plus.
Your application has been successfully submitted.