Torch & Crown Brewing Company is Manhattan’s Brewery. We exist to embody the ambition, vibrancy, diversity, and progress that defines New York City. We are here to bring New York City closer to beer than it’s ever been before.
Torch & Crown Brewing Company is looking for a brewer to join our production team at the Bronx production facility (30 bbl brewhouse and 7,000+ bbl capacity). At Torch & Crown, we aim high and move quickly. We’re quickly growing our Bronx production space to be one of the largest in the city. Our 10bbl Soho brewery & restaurant is the largest production brewery in Manhattan. Our Bronx production team is a small, focused, close-knit team dedicated to quality across a broad range of styles. We are seeking a motivated, detail-oriented individual who is hard-working, a team player, proactive, committed to cleanliness, and who shares our commitment to quality and excellence.
As production brewer, the primary responsibility is wort production on our 3-vessel 30bbl brewhouse, with a focus on quality, consistency, cleanliness, and meticulous data collection. As our team is small and nimble, we also expect the production brewer to be well-versed in all aspects of the beer life cycle, including fermentation-related tasks and packaging, and therefore capable of multi-tasking and assisting with all tasks, small and large, as needed.
- Produce wort on our 3-vessel 30bbl brewhouse, from milling to knock out
- Accurately complete paper and electronic brew logs in real-time and note any discrepancies.
- Take measurements during the brewing process, including testing the gravity and pH of the wort and adjusting ingredient quantities as necessary to achieve targets.
- Perform CIP / SIP of brewhouse, heat exchanger, HLT, CLT, fermenters, brite tanks, kegs, and lines
- Transfer wort and beer to and from fermentation tanks, brite tanks, and barrels
- Troubleshoot mechanical issues and perform basic preventive maintenance of brewing equipment, including the mill, auger, HLT, pumps, etc.
- Share a commitment to safety and quality by enforcing proper SOPs in all aspects of beer production
- Assist in recipe and process development
- Review procedures and refine processes and SOPs where improvements are possible
- Ensure that the brewery, cellar, and packaging facilities and equipment are operable, clean, and safe
- Contribute to the quality assurance processes, improvements and evolution of the brewing system to gain efficiencies
- Assist all production team members in all aspects of their roles
- Participate in team meetings and report on brewing and cellaring issues
- Attend events/festivals as a brewery representative upon occasion
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented individual with a strong work ethic. Individual must be able to work independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Punctual with excellent time management skills
- Ability to multitask while prioritizing competing tasks is essential
- Ability to think on your feet to creatively solve problems, while also knowing when to ask for help to mitigate risk of mistakes
- Ability to comfortably operate in a fast-paced, labor-intensive environment
- Ability to work in variable temperature conditions and to work safely with hot, cold, and hazardous equipment and materials
- A methodical commitment to maintaining cleanliness in all aspects of the job, never leaving a mess for someone else.
- Friendly, upbeat, and personable individual who maintains a level-head and positive attitude
- At least 1-3 years of prior brewing experience in a production environment.
- Mechanical aptitude and demonstrated ability to work with brewery and packaging equipment and basic tools, as needed
- Knowledge of the brewing process, and of proper CIP and QA/QC protocols
- Ability to operate a forklift and pallet jack
- Ability to continuously stand, walk, lift, carry and handle 70 lbs.; frequently bend, stoop, kneel,
- Climb, reach, and push; and work in confined spaces and close quarters with others
- Flexibility in both schedule and duties
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and nonverbal
- Writing and basic math skills necessary to read and write orders and to accurately complete brewing calculations
- Applicants must comply with all health & safety policies instituted by management (including any and all COVID-19 related requirements)
- This person must have the legal right to work in the United States.
- Compensation range: $23-28 hourly, commensurate with experience level.
- Overtime eligible position
- Benefits include United Healthcare / Oxford medical + dental/vision coverage; PTO starting at 2 weeks paid time off + 1 week paid sick leave; 401(k); maternity and paternity leave; commuter program.
It is Torch & Crown’s policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. It is our intent and desire that equal opportunities will be provided in employment, promotions, training, wages, benefits, and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment. All personnel actions, such as recruiting, selection and placement, training, benefits, promotions, transfers, layoffs, suspensions, terminations, and social and recreational programs are applicable to all persons on a non-discriminatory basis.
Your application has been successfully submitted.