Funky Buddha Brewery, located in Oakland Park, Florida, is seeking a full-time Brewer to join its growing team. Established in 2010 at its Boca Raton brewpub, Funky Buddha is known for pushing the boundaries of traditional brewing methods with culinary-inspired recipes utilizing all-natural, food-centric ingredients. Some of its best-known beers include flagships Hop Gun IPA and Floridian Hefeweizen. This fast-growing company is the first production brewery in the greater Fort Lauderdale area and the largest brewery in South Florida and is positioned for rapid expansion over the next few years.
“Where the Best Beers Are – Top 20 Brewpubs/Breweries for good beer” – USA Today
“25 Breweries to Know” – Draft Magazine
“10 Best Breweries to Visit in the South” – First We Feast
A shift brewer is responsible for all aspects of the brewing process including brewing, fermentation, cellaring, and finishing. This employee must be a hard-working, responsible, and self-motivated individual with a passion for craft beer and a desire to continue learning and growing within the industry. The candidate should also be a sociable person who is comfortable occasionally representing the brewery in public. Natural leadership, integrity, loyalty, and a good sense of humor are all factors in who we hire. Brewer tasks involve physical, mechanical, innovative, and problem-solving work so these skills are highly preferred.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- Operating brewhouse and producing batches from start to finish
- Following recipes and brewing process to achieve desired and consistent targets throughout batches
- Yeast handling and management
- Cellaring duties including fermentation management
- CIP (clean-in-place) of brewing and fermentation tanks, and other equipment
- Logging of all brewing related notes from brew day through fermentation, finishing, and packaging
- Following SOP (standard operating procedure) in each phase of brewing, fermentation, and packaging
- Maintaining clean brewing practices in the brewhouse and cellar
- Executing preventative maintenance on all brewhouse and cellar equipment
- Monitoring raw material inventory
- Updates job knowledge by participating in staff training opportunities
- This list is not exhaustive and job functions are subject to change to accommodate changing business needs
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
- Assist Brewery Manager with any necessary production duties.
- Assist in any other special duties associated with beer production.
- Assist with recipe development R&D
- Assist with Quality tasks, such as sensory evaluation of beer
- May be asked to assist with other duties and special projects throughout the Brewery
- Near Vision Constant
- Far Vision Constant
- Hearing Constant
- Talking Constant
- Sitting Frequent
- Walking Frequent
- Computer Use Frequent
- Crouching, Bending, Stooping Frequent
- Reaching Occasional
- Grasping Occasional
- Pushing/Pulling Occasional
- Lifting/Carrying up to 55 lbs Occasional
- Climbing Stairs Occasional
OSHA laws require the use of the following Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when performing work duties that have the potential of risk to your health or safety:
- Safety goggles when walking through the Production area
- Steel Toe rubber boots
- Safety gloves when handling industrial strength chemicals
- Hearing Protection in loud environments
Employees will be trained in the proper use and care of assigned PPE. Funky Buddha Brewery provides the required PPE. It is your responsibility to report defective, damaged or lost PPE, or equipment that does not fit properly to your Manager.
No positions directly report to this position.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- A strong passion for brewing modern American beers as well as the desire to push the boundaries of experimental brewing
- An advanced understanding of brewing aspects, including cellaring, yeast handling, CIP, and sanitization
- Strong organizational habits, a self-motivated work ethic, and good critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Flexibility in terms of hours and a willingness to work night shifts, weekends, and overtime
- Computer literate with some understanding of Microsoft Office/spreadsheet programs
- Ability to work safely with hazardous chemicals
- Ability to work safely in a wet, noisy, and non-temperature-controlled environment
- Ability to work safely in confined spaces and around complex machinery
- Ability to stoop, squat, kneel, and crawl for purposes of collecting samples, gathering data, and cleaning
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects at one time, maintaining attention to detail with each project
- Ability to meet production, quality and safety standards
- An understanding of operational structure and system variables such as pressure, temperature and flow is preferred
- Ability to problem-solve or understand mechanical failures related to brewing system
- Open mind for cross-training and covering other department’s tasks related to beer production and quality
Four-year college degree in natural sciences (e.g., microbiology, biochemistry, food science, engineering, etc.) preferred.
Minimum of three years-experience in a commercial production industry, brewery or high-volume brew pub required.
An understanding of quality assurance (QA) methods and techniques, laboratory operations, and basic knowledge of chemistry and biology preferred.
Prior packaging, bottling, and racking experience preferred.
Mechanical experience and aptitude preferred.
Forklift operation or certification preferred.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
No special licenses or certificates required.
Your application has been successfully submitted.