Ratio Beerworks is an emerging urban brewery in Denver with two locations, one in the River North Arts District and one in the Overland Neighborhood.
Ratio opened in 2015 with deep roots in music, art, and culture. Founders Jason zumBrunnen and Scott Kaplan met through the punk scene during their time at CU-Boulder almost 25 years ago before zumBrunnen added an international diploma in brewing to his chemical engineering degree. Ratio has always seen high-quality beer as a minimum basic requirement in addition to fostering a unique and creative brand. Additionally, the perfect candidate will embody many of Ratio’s Core Values of Positivity, Excellence, Teamwork, and having a Growth Mindset.
Ratio Beerworks is hiring a full time Brewer to help with our current growth phase and beyond.
We value passion, positivity, hard work, teamwork, fun, creativity and open-mindedness. The perfect candidate will embody those values and will also be self-motivated, adaptable, a people person, and a lifelong learner with a track record of both personal and professional growth. The position will be responsible for not only brewing, but cellar work, and all other aspects of turning raw materials into beautiful beer.
Ratio’s culture is DIY and music-based, with a focus on indie and punk. You don't have to love this music, but you'll be hearing a lot of it with lots of in house performances. We conduct many account tours through the brewhouse and prefer this candidate to be sociable and comfortable representing the brewery in public.
This position will be primarily located at our RiNo location, but with crossover brewing occasionally at our new Overland location. We brew on a 20 bbl brewhouse at both locations, into 20 bbl, 60 bbl and 80 bbl fermenters. We hope to brew about 6,000 barrels this year and look for continued growth.
Our brewhouse is an all-inclusive brewery, where you will hot-side brew, cellar, clean, keg, can, and everything in between! Our current team includes a Senior Lead Brewer, Site Lead Brewer, and two full-time Brewers plus part-time additional assistance. This position will report to our Senior Lead Brewer.
Under the supervision of the Senior Lead Brewer, the Brewer position is responsible for overseeing efficient execution of all brewhouse and cellar operations. The Brewer ensures the highest quality and consistency through execution of fermentation, yeast management, dry hopping, beer transfers, conditioning, kegging, canning and QA/QC.
- Capable of performing all aspects of the brewing process with confidence and little training. Brewing, Cellaring, Kegging, etc.
- Be flexible. Some weekly brew shifts may start earlier in the day or finish later in the evening. Hours may be anywhere from 6am to 8pm.
- Participate in all functions of brewhouse: brewing, cellaring, transferring, yeast management, dry hopping, kegging,, canning, etc.
- Represent Ratio at brewers festivals, charity events, promotional events, brewing tours, etc. as needed.
- Work with the Brewer 3 to execute the brewhouse and cellar schedule based on information provided by production planning
- Maintain complete and accurate brewery records. Use both Google Docs and EKOS software as tools for recording data.
- Ensure a safe work environment.
- Maintain a clean, safe and well organized facility
- Operate forklift. Receive and stock deliveries. Become a Tetris master in our cold room. We will certify if not trained.
- Assist in re-stocking and organizing the cold room throughout the week to ensure easy pouring of draft beer by bar staff.
- Assist with packaging operations as needed. Pack-off, palletizing finished product, shuffling brite cans into the depalletizer etc.
- Certification or graduation from an accredited Brewer Training Institution or equivalent experience desired.
- Ideally 1-3 years industry related experience
- Ideally a minimum of one year of experience performing all tasks in the brewery with minimal oversight
- Strong communications skills
- Open-mindedness to new ideas and problem solving.
- Ability to take direction from the Brewer 3 and Production / Packaging Managers
- Ability to pivot, be cool under pressure, and constantly adapt to changing demands of a growing brewery.
- Be a host and liaison to our many client visits through our sales team. Able to lead impromptu tours.
- Mechanical aptitude
- Excellent attention to detail and record keeping skills
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently while maintaining high quality standards.
- Enthusiasm and strong personal knowledge of the brewing industry and market
- Knowledge of Google Docs
- Knowledge of Ekos is a plus
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels within the organization
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible
- Ability to occasionally lift, push, or pull up to 170 pounds
- Tolerate hot, wet and loud conditions of the brewery and work in a fast-paced & demanding environment
- HIghly energetic, positive attitude
- Ability to have FUN and remain positive in demanding situations.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time, full benefits,, salaried non-exempt position (overtime is paid additionally) with a compensation range for $40,000 to $50,000 per year, depending on experience. Full time employees are eligible for a generous PTO package including 401K with employer matching, Holiday Time Off along with company sponsored health, vision, and dental benefits.
To apply, please send a thoughtful cover letter and resume with your interest in why you specifically would like to work at Ratio Beerworks
Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
Your application has been successfully submitted.