Director of Communications
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Reports To: Executive Director of Marketing
Summary: Join our family and share the story of D.G. Yuengling & Son, Inc. (DGY) and what makes us unique as America’s Oldest Brewery. We are family owned and operated since 1829 and have a strong culture and history of perseverance and grit. We are seeking a strong champion of our company and our brands. We are looking for a Director of Communications who will support our existing business as well as the launch of new products by creating, executing, tracking and measuring proactive internal and external communications plans as a part of our integrated marketing and PR strategy. The Director of Communications will be responsible for developing and executing strategic and integrated public relations and corporate social responsibility plans to build awareness and to further drive affinity for all Yuengling brands for DGY and The Yuengling Company (TYC-JV with Molson Coors). This role will be responsible for leading their team and working cross functionally in managing internal and external communication channels, PR and media relations, crisis management, cause marketing, consumer/VIP/influencer communications, brand experiential brewery campuses in PA and FL, government affairs, industry/trade associations, employee communications and engagement, and brewery sponsored events. The Director of Communications will interface with ownership and the leadership team and is expected to create tangible benefits and to help achieve strategic business goals. Key relationships include with the Executive Director of Marketing, VP of Sales & Marketing, Brand Manager, Media Manager, Social Media Coordinator, VP of Hospitality, and leadership at both DGY and TYC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job with excellence, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Establish a clear vision for the marketing communications function in support of a best-in- class marketing organization and build capabilities that align.
- Lead 3Y and 1Y communication strategies linked to current brand/company strategy including public relations, community, social responsibility, sustainability, influencer, stakeholder strategy, and executions for all brands and the company, including initiatives within existing and new states.
- Lead company efforts in annual business planning, tactical planning, and creative execution, ensuring a cohesive brand image and successful campaign & program performance.
- Partner with DGY and TYC leadership on development of key communications and to advance key initiatives and align messaging.
- Act as external voice representing the company (i.e. write and prepare releases, deliver brand messages on and off camera).
- Lead messaging and communication opportunities for family ownership.
- Promote the brewery campus experiences in Pottsville, PA and Tampa, FL to drive awareness, traffic and brand affinity.
- Support employee engagement initiatives including internal and stakeholder communication initiatives as well as management of company intranet.
- Lead content management for Yuengling.com, Yuengling Intranet, and JV Intranet Sites.
- Oversee additional communication platforms and PR tools.
- Lead relationships with key community and cause partners.
- Oversee Brand Ambassador Program for America’s Oldest Brewery.
- Coordinate and facilitate public relations agency relationships, budget and agency resources to ensure communications strategizes, and media relations objectives.
- Develop and manage defined annual activation budget.
- Lead and/or develop processes and drive alignment with key internal stakeholders.
- Participate in day-to-day management of all communications projects. Communicate with internal and external stakeholders as appropriate.
- Conduct cost/benefit analysis prior to and following all programs.
- Build out and oversee local communications resources and efforts in Pottsville, PA and Tampa, FL.
- Support TYC with PR/CSR planning.
- Lead any crisis management situations.
- Represent and model Yuengling’s culture and values.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrate passion for Yuengling products.
- Proven track record of brand and corporate PR for brands in CPG, including experience working on integrated campaigns.
- Experience in storytelling, taking story ideas from concept to launch, creating themes that can play through PR, social media, executive keynotes, marketing tactics and internal messaging.
- Passion to win. Strong sense for urgency, positive attitude and willingness to challenge status quo and go the extra mile to build our brands.
- Adept at identifying big and small opportunities to strengthen connections between consumers and our brands.
- Uplifting and positive. Seek opportunities and view challenges or problems as catalysts for solutions and inspire others. Must have a positive approach and can-do attitude.
- Attention to detail. Exceptional editing skills and outstanding oral, written, on camera and presentations skills.
- Ability to learn and replicate the voice of the brand/company.
- Ability to adapt messaging to various external and internal target audiences, and adapting content to different communication mediums.
- Strong project management abilities; comfortable working independently and in teams to create and meet deadlines; capable of developing and managing a project plan, establishing priorities, working to deadlines and controlling a variety of projects at various stages of work simultaneously.
- Previous experience evaluating and managing corporate sponsorships, brand positioning, and social media strategy.
- Work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment and responsive to change in a positive manner.
- Continuously improve for better results year over year.
- Agency/vendor leadership and day to day management expertise.
- Experience activating and attracting consumers to brand experiences, such as our first-class hospitality destinations (PA museum, tasting rooms, Tampa Campus).
- Budget management and financial knowledge.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, Monday.com or similar project management tools.
- Require extensive knowledge of the three tiers of the beverage industry, ideally with pre- existing media relationships in the alcoholic or CPG industry.
- Full-time position (40+ hours/week) is office-based in Pottsville, PA.
- Regularly required to stand and walk. Must occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. Specific conditions of this job are typical of frequent and continuous computer-based work requiring periods of sitting, close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Position requires flexibility for days, hours or work and travel. Ability to travel occasionally and as needed, up to 20% of the time.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as requested, directed or assigned by management.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, public relations, communications or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of industry experience is required.
- Experience leading, managing and training preferred.
- Track record of PR/Corporate Communications from an alcoholic beverage (manufacturer) or CPG DSD (beverage and snack) company is preferred.
Interested applicants should send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Your application has been successfully submitted.