Silva Brewing is currently a 1,400bbl/year production microbrewery located in downtown Paso Robles, CA producing hand-crafted draft and packaged beer for direct sales on premises and for local distribution throughout San Luis Obispo County. Our keg distribution has grown to include 15 additional counties throughDelta Pacific Beverage covering the valley and foothills from Stockton to Visalia and counties surrounding TheBay. Packaging at Silva Brewing includes kegging, small scale canning, and hand-bottled special releases including barrel aged offerings.
Amok Cellars was initiated in 2020 to produce fine wines in the same space as Silva Brewing for serving onsite and limited bottle sales. Two wines produced in concrete vessels will be released in 2021 and a third, barrel aged wine, will be released in 2022 totaling less than 200 cases. We expect to increase wine production in the 2021 harvest by over 50% to approximately 300 cases.
Silva Brewing/Amok Cellars Tasting Room provides a unique opportunity to interact directly with our customers providing a personalized tasting experience, sharing our knowledge and passion for our beer and wine. Part of our customers’ experience is the chance to buy beer-to-go whether it be hand canned, hand-bottled, or freshly filled Growlers and Crowler cans straight form the tap. Limited quantities of our hand bottled wines will also be sold while allocations last. Customers may also purchase our custom branded Silva-wear and Amok Cellars apparel at the tasting room.
The Assistant Brewer position at Silva Brewing is a dynamic roll where a prime candidate is willing and eager to perform tasks in all aspects of a small brewery’s business. On any given day the job will entail assisting in all aspects of the brewing process, cellar work, basic lab duties, assisting on canning and bottling days, handpackaging cork finished bottles, kegging operations, maintaining inventory, record keeping, forklift certification or willingness to obtain one, barrel racking, supporting brewing/winery functions, keg delivery to draft accounts, tasting room operations, and other responsibilities as they arise. To be considered for this position the Assistant Brewer candidate must be hard working, responsible, and a self-motivated individual with passion for craft beer exuding a strong desire to share brewing knowledge and continue learning about crafting beer, all the while striving for continued growth within the industry. The candidate should also be a sociable person who is always comfortable representing the brewery in public. Natural desire to take on responsibilities, integrity, loyalty, and a good sense of humor are all traits of a prime candidate.
This is a full-time and non-exempt position. Starting wage: $16 - $18/hour DOE. This is not an entry level position; the candidate should have a minimum 1 year of experience in a Cellar Person or Assistant Brewer position in a production brewery. The position will periodically require long hours and non-regular work hours. For the right person, this employee could be potentially evaluated for a Brewer position in the future. The Assistant Brewer must be available to work Wednesday to Sunday.
- Work closely with the Brewer & Brewmaster to perform all aspects of the brewing evolutions.
- Perform milling to recipe specs for brewing evolutions
- Maintain malt equipment and inventory in a clean and orderly fashion
- Operate Brewhouse as directed for complete wort production including mashing, lauter, boiling, hop additions, whirlpool, and proper wort chilling
- Utilize brewhouse calculations in order to adjust for differences in raw materials
- Clearly communicate with Brewer, Brewmaster, and Cellarman to ensure completion of tasks performed by other brewery team members in the cellar and lab
- Ensure that all brewery recordkeeping is complete and accurate
- Perform Brewhouse and wortway CIP’s with coordination of the Brewer and Brewmaster
- Maintain orderly inventory of hops and other brewing supplies as needed
- Clean brewery facilities
- CIP sanitize all cellar tanks, hoses, yeast handing and auxiliary equipment
- Harvest and pitch yeast
- Monitor fermentation by taking daily gravities and temperature checks, evaluate fermentation progress and schedule future tasks based on status of fermentations
- Perform yeast dumps after harvesting is complete
- Dry hop beer according to the hop schedule
- Filter fermented and properly chilled beer
- Carbonate and condition beer to packaging specs
- Perform Quality Control work including gravity and pH checks, cell counts, and sensory analysis.
- Conduct Quality Assurance of finished packaged goods prior to shipping and post shipping.
- Clean, organize, and stock hops cooler on a weekly basis
- Maintain overall cleanliness of entire brewery, cellar, and tasting room including tank exteriors, floors, and walk-in cold room
- Maintain complete and accurate cellar records
- Fermentation management (pump-overs and punch-downs)
- Barrel work (topping, filling, racking, cleaning, etc)
- Wine/juice movements
- Clean and fill kegs and casks
- Clean and maintain the keg washer and fill rig
- Assist on canning and bottling days in multiple capacities
- Fill and cork bottles for special release
- Maintain and clean packaging equipment
- Keep par levels of packing materials
- Perform Quality Assurance for the release of finished, packaged goods
- Complete records used for tax determination
- Clean tap lines
- Transfer beer from walk-in cooler to stock tasting room and record all transfers
Operations and Extra Duties
- Load and unload trucks
- Make local deliveries as needed
- Participate in safety training
- Cover lunches for other team members
- Represent Silva Brewing at public tastings, festivals, and events
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a Cellar Person or Assistant Brewer position in a production brewery, ideally with Accredited Brewing Education and apprenticeship. ***This is not an entry level position***
- High School Diploma or GED equivalency
- Must have a valid California driver’s license and a good driving record
- Must be able to read and comprehend written and oral instructions in English; read and comprehend safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedural manuals, brewery recipes, material specifications and identifications
- An advanced understanding of all aspects of brewing including wort production, fermentation, yeast handling, CIP sanitation, cellaring, and filtration
- Strong organizational habits with a self-motivated work ethic
- Good critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional cleaning and sanitizing experience
- Can frequently lift 55 pounds regularly and move up to 165 pounds
- Must have manual dexterity sufficient to operate a wide variety of small hand tools, and computer equipment
- Computer literate with an understanding of Microsoft Office/spreadsheet programs
- Possess timely and effective communication skills
- Must be able to multi-task, and manage time efficiently
- Can work unsupervised when required
- Availability to work nights and weekends when applicable
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Other tasks may be assigned as needed
Desired Skills & Experience
- Accredited Brewing Education and apprenticeship with minimum 2 years commercial production brewery experience and extensive home brewing experience
- An associate’s or higher degree from a 2 or 4 year college
- Able to pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check
- Knowledge of Brettanomyces, mixed fermentation, and barrel aging
- Knowledge and understanding of basic laboratory functions and microbiological concepts
- Proven mechanical and electrical repair and maintenance experience
- Must be able to effectively communicate in English
- Proficient operation of a forklift, pallet jack, and hand truck
- Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude
- Excellent communication and record keeping
- Strong knowledge of brewery industry and market
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company
- Able to stand for prolonged periods
- Able to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs
- Able to manipulate valves and clamps
- Able to read and follow written English instructions
- Able to regularly lift and carry 55 pounds overhead repeatedly
- Able to lift and transport items weighing up to 165 pounds
- Able to work in a factory production environment which may be loud, slick, humid, and hot
- Able to work in indoor and outdoor environment with moderate noise and sometimes slippery floors
- Able to use visual, taste, and smell senses for sensory analysis
- Able to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including regularly wearing personal protective equipment such as gloves, goggles, and dust respirator.
Work Environment and Applying
Employee frequently works in a brewery environment with moderate amounts of noise and activity including materials handling equipment moving in the workspace. The work environment is fast-paced and demanding.
Before applying for this position, it is important that you read the physical demands listed above and make sure that you meet the requirements.
No phone calls, please. To apply please follow these instructions:
- Email the following materials with an e-mail subject that reads ‘Assistant Brewer Job'
- Resume (preferably in .PDF, .DOC, .DOCX form)
- Brief one paragraph letter of introduction in the body of the email
- Phone number where you can be reached
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Your application has been successfully submitted.