Raíces Brewing Company (RBC) is looking for a highly motivated and organized Head Brewer. Currently, Raíces Brewing Company produces nearly 800BBLs per year and forecasts a 50% increase in the next year. The Head Brewer will be working under Raíces Brewery Operations Department with the expectation to produce high quality beer in a 15 BBL, 3-vessel, direct-fire system with 120 BBLs of fermentation capacity and 210 BBLs of bright tank capacity. Head Brewer’s responsibility is to produce beer from grain to glass, while maintaining a clean, sanitized, organized work area and managing a schedule for its department. The Brewer will be involved in the creation and implementation of SOPs, reporting directly to Raíces Executive Team and working in tandem with the brewing team to perpetuate a positive and effective work culture. Other tasks required in the position involve: lifting, moving, pulling, pushing and tapping, including moving full kegs onto and off of pallets, driving a forklift, climbing ladders, working with chemicals, and working in a safety driven team environment. Members of the team should have a proactive and positive attitude while keeping an immaculately clean work space. The head brewer will also be responsible for canning and bottling operations, external accounts management and deliveries. This position is very demanding and Production Team members should expect to work between 35-55 hours per week. Schedules are subject to change depending on production requirements.
- Oversee all brewing operations, including but not limited to:
- Brewing Raices’ established core brands/styles.
- Creating & Managing Production schedules.
- New recipe development & growth of beer styles
- Manage & Optimizing all brewing operations.
- Manage, & Train all aspects of the brewery team.
- Proficient operations of Canning, Kegging and Bottling Operations.
- Develop & oversee Quality Assurance programs, systems & procedures.
- Manage, Inventory, & Control raw ingredients & packaged beer.
- Maintain accurate brew logs to both company and regulatory standards.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair equipment.
- Meet and communicate regularly with management and the RBC executive team.
- Harvest, pitch and handle yeast safely.
- Perform dumps and pH checks on products.
- Transferring beer from fermentation to bright beer tanks.
- Maintain detailed records of beer production process including raw materials to finished goods inventories, recipes, analysis, etc.
- Climb stairs, ramps, ladders.
- Work in small spaces.
- Possess extended beer knowledge and a good sense of smell, distinguishing flavors, and colors in beer.
- Attend training sessions critical to the job position.
- Create, Maintain & manage SOPs.
- Manage & maintain draft systems.
- Oversee & coordinate brewery maintenance & cleaning.
- Manage brewpub/taproom team beer education.
- Drivers License & reliable transportation.
- 35-55 hrs work week, guided by the operational needs.
- Maintain immaculate and sanitized work areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Represent Raíces values and goals at all times.
- Serve as an excellent representative of RBC within the beer industry and in the general community.
Abilities and Skills:
- Excellent Communication Skills.
- Able to create written reports. Able to report and communicate in person, through chats, emails and letters with the Operations Team, Executive Team, Colleagues and External Relations.
- Proven Leadership Skills.
- Possess a friendly, professional and positive attitude with colleagues, supervisor, Executive Team, visitors and customers.
- Able to work independently and in a team setting.
- Has strong team player qualities. Team focused with a collaborative mindset.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Able to function in a dynamic, fast-paced, demanding and detailed oriented work environment.
- Able to follow and document precise brewery processes.
- Able to learn new skills and follow instructions consistently.
- Able to retain confidential company knowledge.
- Honesty and integral.
- Able to be flexible in both schedule and duties.
- Passionate about the craft beverage industry.
- Strong problem solver.
- Be highly motivated.
- Be highly organized.
- Able to supervise (procedures, people, interns).
- Be community engaged.
- Have service and hospitality experience.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- 3+ years brewing on a 10+ BBL system.
- 3-5+ years of experience as a head brewer.
- Must be 21 years old to pour or work with alcohol.
- Minimum High School Degree.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Able to lift 55lbs; able to move packages of various weights using tools such as a hand truck or a forklift.
- Able to kneel, stoop, and work in tight spaces.
- Able to stand and work for up to 12 hours at a time.
- Read, write and calculate basic algebra.
- Have solid Basic Computer and Software Skills
- Strong work ethics and professionalism.
- Have the ability to work a flexible schedule.
Desired Qualifications related to brewing:
- Forklift aptitude
- Worked with Inventory Management Systems
Other Desired Qualifications:
- Bilingual (English, Spanish, etc.)
- Bicultural or multicultural or understanding of other cultural backgrounds
- Have solid computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Gmail, Internet, Google Drives, and more.
- 15 bbl – 3 vessel, direct fire system – XIMO Brewhouse
- (6) 15 bbl Jacketed Fermenters
- (1) 30 bbl Jacketed Fermenter
- (14) 15 bbl Single-Walled Brites
- (1) 15 bbl Single-Walled Brite with Agitator
- 1 Head Wild Goose (Gosling) canning system
- (1) ACOS Filler AF250 bottling system
Full Time Position: $22/hr.
Send email with cover letter and resume and In Subject write: RBC Head Brewer