We’re Fort George, a family-owned and operated craft brewery in Astoria, Oregon. Have you been to Astoria? It’s great here. We have lots of breweries. We have a big bridge, we have elk, trees, rocky beaches, good surfing, great fishing, nice parks, and confusing traffic patterns. We love it here. We think you might, too. We’ve been making beer for 15 years now and things have changed a lot. We started out making beer on the 8.5 barrel system in the back of our Pub and soon enough we were selling the beer faster than we could make it. So we expanded. As we’ve grown we’ve become more than a brewery. Fort George is proud to be a member of our thriving community, operating 2 restaurants, a taproom, 2 smaller-scale research and development breweries, one large-scale production facility, and a craft-focused distributor representing a handsome portfolio of over 200 similarly-minded breweries, wineries, and cideries. We distribute our original beers across the Pacific Northwest but our hearts are in Astoria. We make beer for everyone, for our community, for you. And we could use your help.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This is a position in the legendary Fort George Packaging Department. There is no beer that goes out of our facilities that doesn’t first pass through the loving hands of the Packaging Department. Do you like cans? Do you like kegs? Do you like pallets and pallets and pallets of cans and pallets and pallets and pallets of kegs? You could be here, with us, every day, canning, palletizing, prepping and filling kegs, and making sure our beer is fit for distribution across the land.
If you’ve worked in a production facility before, that’s awesome. But if you haven’t, that’s awesome, too. We want to hear from you, either way. Fort George promotes from within, but we also train, re-train, and cross-train constantly. What you bring to this position, you’ll get back in good beer, fair pay, great benefits, and the delicious satisfaction of a job well done as you watch the numbers on the can-counter whirl away.
- Cleaning! Sanitizing and cleaning all packaging equipment before, during, and after use / if you’ve ever had a bad beer, or a good beer in a dirty glass, then you know why this part is so important
- Packaging! Putting beer into all the containers
- Machines! Monitoring and maintaining packaging line during use; making operational adjustments as needed
- Organizing! Maintaining a safe, sanitary, and organized work environment; super duper important in a brewery
- More organizing! Stacking, wrapping, organizing, and preparing packaged beer for distribution
- Data! Recording data accurately during packaging operations, sorting and utilizing data afterward
- Showing up! Excellent attendance for shifts, trainings, scheduled employee meetings, and events
- Adapting! Other things that come up, and there’s always things that come up
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
You must be 18 years or older. Previous production brewing experience is preferred but not required
- Math! (Basic math competency such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and computation of rates, ratios, and percentages / make your phone calculator work for you!)
- Machines! (Basic mechanical competency / is it a flat head screwdriver or a wrench?)
- Reading! (Ability to read labels on chemicals and equipment and snarky, clever notes from coworkers)
- Loud Noises! (Ability to communicate with coworkers in a noisy environment/sing song lyrics loud enough to hear over packaging equipment)
- Safety! (General knowledge of occupational hazards and safe operating procedures associated with essential functions of this position* / be safe, protect the people, protect the beer; we will train on this)
- Forklifts! (Ability to obtain and maintain Forklift Operator’s certification*; be able to safely operate brewery equipment including but not limited to forklifts, pallet jacks, etc. / ever driven a golf cart? A golf cart loaded with 5,000 lbs of beer!?)
- Adaptability! (Must be able to adapt to frequent changes in workload and adjust priorities quickly as circumstances dictate / you can’t rush good beer, but you also can’t stop it from being ready at the same time as all the other beer)
- Beer! (Valid OLCC Server’s Permit - ability to obtain within 90 days from date of hire)
- ** / part of cross-training and continued learning means we want everyone to be able to do cool stuff like help out at exclusive events or help to brew a beer)
- More beer! (Cicerone Certified Beer Server Certification or greater preferred** / you like beer, we like beer, we want you to learn more about beer)
* We’ll cover this in training and provide all the resources you need.
** We encourage everyone to pursue industry education and certifications, and in a lot of cases, we’ll reimburse the fee upon program completion. We truly believe that everyone in every position from Sales Manager to Pizza Cook can help us make better beer.
Here at Fort George, we strive to maintain a culture in which all may contribute to the success of our organizations and industry, and all are valued for their unique skills, experiences, and perspectives. It has been found that those in traditionally underrepresented groups are less likely to apply for jobs if they believe they do not meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background or has less or differing experience. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of these qualifications. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please feel free to contact email@example.com to discuss your application.
BENEFITS WE OFFER (varying eligibility criteria):
Competitive health benefits, paid sick time, paid time off, paid holidays, and paid volunteering
SH 401(k) retirement plan with immediate vest, 4% employer match,
Food/Beer/Merch perks and an annual keg
Free counseling, legal, & financial services through Employee Assistance Program
Interested applicants must be 18 years of age or older, please complete and submit an application at http://www.fortgeorgebrewery.com/jobs or in person at our pub at 1483 Duane Street in historic downtown Astoria, Oregon. Please feel free to attach any additional materials that will demonstrate why you would be a strong candidate for this position (e.g. resume, cover letter, letter(s) of recc, etc.). For more information including a full job description, please respond to this listing or email.
At Fort George Brewery we are and will remain an equal opportunity organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusivity, and which actively opposes any sort of discrimination, harassment, bullying, inappropriate power dynamic, or retaliation, whether based on race, color, religion, sex, hair texture or style, pregnancy, national origin, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, ancestry, age, medical condition, disability, handicap, genetic disposition, marital status, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. This commitment applies to employment, collaboration, service, and any other professional interaction alike.