ALMANAC BREWER I
Hours: Full time
Compensation range: $22-28/hour dependent on experience. Almanac benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401k, short & long-term disability, paid time off, paid holidays and beer perks!
Reports to: Production Manager
The Brewer I position is designed for employees with a minimum of 1 year of brewhouse or cellar experience. This position assists with any and all Production Associate responsibilities. In addition, this position includes work in the cellar and wort production in a collaborative environment with guidance from senior brewers. This position ranges in responsibilities based upon successfully demonstrating competencies with increasingly more challenging assignments. Examples would be in rough order of increasing difficulty: Grain milling, tank CIPs, grain-out, mash-in, cellar transfers, yeast management, centrifuging, lab assistance, hot-side wort production. Complete data management, teamwork, a good attitude, and a desire to learn and grow professionally are key to success in this position.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Brewing: Ability to produce wort from a recipe following an SOP is important as well as the knowledge of how to adjust accordingly to meet brew specifications.
- Fresh & Sour Cellar Operations: Cellar CIP, yeast management, barrel cleaning, transfers, blending etc. Cleaning! Please be obsessed with low DO.
- Lab assistance: Yeast counts, DO readings, gravities, pH, Titratable acidity.
- Assisting with packaging which includes canning, bottling, and kegging (everyone cleans kegs!) as needed. Experience with Palmer canning lines or Lambrechts keg fillers a strong plus.
- Record Keeping: Detailed records of all work performed. We use an ERP based brewing management suite. Freshman computer literacy is required.
- Preventative Maintenance: Assist Mechanic as needed with the preventative maintenance of all brewery equipment. Bottling lines, boilers, water treatment, etc
- 1+ years experience, and/or college education or trade equivalent.
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must pass post-offer pre-employment background check
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (our entire team is vaccinated)
- Ability to work a rotating schedule, including morning/mid/evening/weekend shifts.
BONUS POINT SKILLS:
- Commercial Electrical
- Forklift experience
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- Able to regularly twist, turn, lift supplies and equipment up to 50-lb (I.e., cases of beer, bags of malt)
- Able to move 155-lb kegs of beer (using appropriate techniques and tools).
- Able to work in a production environment where noise level is usually moderate to loud and warehouse temperature fluctuates according to the weather.
- The desire to work in a fast-paced, growing company
- Positive outlook and attitude, with the ability to think on your feet.
- Resourceful and creative.
- Ability to work unsupervised while maintaining rigorous safety and quality standards.
- Extreme attention to detail, as well as strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple processes at one time
- Self motivated with exceptional time-management skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff throughout the organization.
- Have a passion for making great beer
E-mail your resume with a cover letter telling us how your experience demonstrates the qualities we seek, starting with the Subject Line: “Brewer I”.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Almanac Beer Company strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.
Almanac was launched in 2011 by Damian Fagan and Jesse Friedman, two avid homebrewers who bonded over their mutual appreciation for California farmer's markets. They set out to brew beers inspired by California’s rich agricultural bounty, and brewed their first beer—a Belgian-style golden ale aged in Sonoma County Zinfandel barrels with Sonoma County blackberries. Our name, Almanac, refers to the Farmer’s Almanac, a reference guide for farmers that has been published every year since 1818. Our motto, Farm to Barrel, was adopted to reflect our passion for brewing barrel-aged beers that showcase ingredients from California farms. All of our beers are brewed, aged, and packaged at our 30,000 square feet brewery on the former Alameda Point Naval Airbase on beautiful Alameda Island. Our portfolio of beers spans the gamut from delicate oak-aged lagers, to nuanced barrel-aged sours, decadent stouts, and of course, hazy IPAsAlmanac Beer Company strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.