Alcove General Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Do you thrive on providing an amazing experience in a high volume, high touch hospitality environment? Do you have an intimate knowledge of and passion for craft beer, craft beverages, and farm-to-table cuisine? Do you care about giving back to your community and operating sustainably? You should apply for the Alcove GM position!
MadTree is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce that inspires madness while being rooted in purpose. We offer a competitive compensation package plus great benefits like paid volunteer time, subsidized health insurance, a retirement plan with a match that begins day one, profit sharing, paid time off, and many other great perks.
POSITION: Alcove General Manager
LOCATION: Cincinnati, OH
WHO ARE WE?
When MadTree sprouted in 2013, we were driven to craft great beer - but more importantly - to build something bigger than ourselves and the high-quality beer we produce. Since the beginning, we have cared deeply about creating meaningful connections with our communities. We embrace our name MadTree and work to celebrate and protect nature, while reducing our impact on the environment. We are proud members of 1% for the Planet, with a commitment to donate 1% of our sales to non-profits focused on environmental sustainability. The craftspeople at MadTree wake up every day to connect people to nature and each other.
We are MadTree. Inspiring Madness. Rooted in Purpose.
WHAT IS ALCOVE?
Located at 1400-1410 Vine Street in Cincinnati’s historic Over-the-Rhine district, Alcove will feature MadTree beers, house-made cocktails, and upscale farm-to-table offerings from chef Stephen Williams, proprietor of Covington’s Bouquet Restaurant and Spoon: Kitchen & Market.
Alcove is a nook of nature in the heart of the city, with a series of unique spaces for guests to explore. The main space will feature a large bar, light-filled lounges, dining areas, and an intimate private dining room for small groups. Connected by expansive windows and doors that run the length of the building, the main space opens to one of the city center’s rare outdoor spaces. Alcove will feature a lush outdoor patio space for lounging and dining, which connects to a lively greenhouse bar filled with vibrant plants; herbs growing in the greenhouse will be used in the house-made cocktails. To create an immersive, warm space, MadTree will partner with non-profit Urban Blooms who will fill the space with living walls, chandeliers, and hanging plants.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Alcove General Manager leads and manages all front of house and back of house responsibilities related to the operations of The Alcove. They will focus on fostering an environment where staff make connections with guests, not transactions, to make their day a little better. They will be an avid MadTree ambassador who lives the behaviors – Connect, Grow, and Give a F*ck. Additionally, the Alcove General Manager will:
- Exercise a high degree of autonomy and work on issues that require independent thinking, initiative, and decisiveness.
- Approach their assignments with a focus on leading, directing, and prioritizing work and the goals to be accomplished.
- Be very comfortable meeting new people, be optimistic and upbeat in appearance, flexible with others, and use a persuasive and "selling" communication style in order to motivate/influence.
KEY PERFORMANCE OBJECTIVES IN ORDER OF PRIORITY AND PROJECTED TIME ALLOCATION:
- 30% - Leading, developing, and coaching a team that is growth oriented, engaged, and connected.
- 40% - Developing and executing operational and financial plans that achieve identified financial, sustainability, and consumer experience goals.
- 10% - Clearly and regularly communicating with management, staff, and key internal and external stakeholders to ensure efficient information flow and positive relationships.
Note: Twenty percent of time is reserved for ancillary responsibilities and activities unrelated to the key performance objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Grow sales in the Taproom by providing the highest levels of uncompromising quality of food, beverage, reception, greeting, seating and service.
- Create an engaging and energetic environment where all employees work as a team to provide a specific and consistent experience for all guests.
- Provides a leadership presence over day-to-day operations to ensure all standards of MadTree quality and service are achieved during each shift. Leads hiring and onboarding activities in addition to regular employee performance reviews and performance improvement plans, as needed.
- Work as a floor manager during assigned shifts to support service staff and ensure the highest levels of quality and service. Visit tables and interact with guests, monitors proper front door procedures, seating, and greeting; results in effective control of the flow of our guests. Resolve employee and/or guest conflict through service recovery and implement change under direction of MadTree management when necessary.
- Work with our restaurant partner, kitchen manager, and staff to ensure a cohesive and seamless food experience for guests, including resolving issues and making service more efficient.
- Accountable to assist in developing, as well as meeting and maintaining pre-determined financial goals for labor, cost of goods, revenue, margin, etc. in addition to environmental sustainability goals.
- Accountable for accurate and timely processing of bi-weekly payroll, including timecard approval and tip allocation.
- Work closely with the Private Events management to ensure successful day-to-day operations of events.
- Leader in continuous improvement efforts. Shares with managers and co-workers, ideas, feedback, and suggestions from guests, staff, and their own observations.
- Actively leads, participates in, and contributes to on-going staff meetings to provide continuous training and development in the areas of service, suggest selling and sales techniques for liquor, beer, wine, and food sales, safety, security, and sanitation.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be at least 21 years of age or older.
- 5+ years of professional restaurant/brewery taproom management or related experience, preferred experience in casual fine dining with annual revenues of $4-6M.
- Must possess or obtain Cicerone Level 1 certification within first 90 days of employment.
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed; typically, 50-55 hours per week.
- Extremely positive, friendly, service-orientated attitude to be in the service of guests and staff at all times.
- Operates to serve in the success of the overall organization rather than the business unit.
- Accountable at all times for personal safety as well as the safety of those around them.
- Attention to detail, ability to work unsupervised while maintaining safety and quality standards, and confidence to speak up and act when safety and quality are compromised.
- Comfort with multitasking and maintaining efficiency and productivity.
- Effective and frequent communication with management partners and support staff, regardless of department or shift.
- Ability and willingness to adhere to and advance protocol in a diverse work environment.
- Pride in the challenges and rewards of sharing beer with the masses.
- Familiarity with process of craft brewing.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms. Use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The work environment is usually that of a restaurant or bar.
- The employee occasionally works with hazardous materials.
- The employee works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
Your application has been successfully submitted.