Key Accounts Manager
WHO ARE YOU?
You are a self-motivated creative problem solver and solution seeker. You tap into this to satisfy your strong hunger to win. You know that it takes a mix of art and science to achieve results. You are a connector. You fully believe that building strong relationships are everything and all parties must prosper.
You are a collaborator. You know you can’t do it alone and you tap into all the resources at your disposal. You have a growth mindset and will work every day to grow yourself, your team, your partners, and MadTree. You can be vulnerable, you accept feedback, and you make others around you better.
You know detail matters. You like building structures and processes to hold yourself and others accountable. You are a fighter. You thrive on competition, embrace challenges, and find opportunity in all your interactions.
WHO ARE WE?
When MadTree sprouted in 2013, we were driven to craft great beer - but more importantly - to build something bigger than ourselves and the high-quality beer we produce. Since the beginning, we have cared deeply about creating meaningful connections with our communities. We embrace our name MadTree and work to celebrate and protect nature, while reducing our impact on the environment. We are proud members of 1% for the Planet, with a commitment to donate 1% of our sales to non-profits focused on environmental sustainability. The craftspeople at MadTree wake up every day to connect people to nature and each other.
We are MadTree. Inspiring Madness. Rooted in Purpose.
MadTree is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce that inspires madness while being rooted in purpose. We offer a competitive compensation package plus great benefits like paid volunteer time, subsidized health insurance, a retirement plan with a match, profit sharing, paid time off, and many other great perks.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Key Accounts Manager is the primary individual in the relationship between MadTree and key chain buyers to identify and execute growth opportunities in the largest single sales channel. They will be an avid MadTree ambassador who lives the behaviors – Connect, Grow, and Give a F*ck.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate strong proficiency in the following areas:
- Business Insight: Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals
- Collaborates: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Communicates Effectively: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Customer Focus: Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Manages Complexity: Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Nimble Learning: Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder
KEY FOCUS AREAS:
- Build and maintain relationships with key chain account buyers which includes developing and presenting pitches that follow strategic plans to deliver revenue growth and dollar share in the markets served.
- Gather insights through sales data, personal observations, and distributor and sales team feedback to identify opportunities and ensure successful plan execution.
- Serve as a liaison between key accounts and distributor and internal sales teams to ensure objectives are met and accountabilities are clear.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Aggressively pursue new key account distribution; conducting regular meetings with buyers to sell-in new products, programs, and promotional activities.
- Call on accounts to secure new distribution and features, making timely presentations and introducing new and “limited release” beers/RTDs
- Communicates shared expectations between key account customers, distributor partners, and the MadTree sales team, including brands, programming, pricing, timing, volume, locations, support documents and any other information that will lead to disciplined execution.
- Develop relationships with operations/store management from targeted accounts to develop “2nd level” relationships to win jump ball opportunities at retail.
- Visit key account locations to inspect execution of programming and reporting back results to key stakeholders.
- Work closely with distributor partners and MadTree sales team to increase MadTree brands visibility in alignment with pricing, distribution, and space initiatives.
- Assumes a leadership role in understanding, developing, and implementing key customer initiatives within the Craft Beer and RTD segments including promotions, pricing, programming, and distribution initiatives.
- Manage VIP and Armadillo/IRI subscriptions, including new item submissions, existing portfolio maintenance, resolving data discrepancies, and KARMA Survey maintenance.
- Provides in-depth sales analysis on brand performance and category trends to help drive internal strategic planning, retail presentations, and monthly distributor meetings/planning.
- Effective communication of sales and promotional activity, monthly chain activity, pricing information, account lists, new products, and promotional calendars.
- Measures, monitors, and reports out on all Key Performance Indicators to determine progress against strategic plans. Will develop and deliver tactical plans to close any KPI gaps identified.
- Develops and implements account level survey processes to ensure execution of programs.
- Maintains consistent market visitation schedule between all assigned territories; work quarterly target account list and visitation schedule.
- Assist in Annual Business Planning by providing requested annual customer overviews and category insights, along with creating volume and financial forecasts.
- Works directly with and maintains constant communication with all relevant MadTree personnel to promote the sale of company brands within the national, regional, and local chain accounts.
- Enthusiastically spends a minimum of 16 hours per year volunteering for MadTree Impact initiatives.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duties, accountabilities, and responsibilities satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be at least 21 years of age or older.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or equivalent experience required, MBA preferred.
- 3+ years craft beer sales experience selling, preferably with two or more years of managing a sales team
- 2+ years experience calling on national/regional chain accounts
IMPORTANT SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to travel regionally up to 25% of the time as needed with occasional evening and weekend work and national travel.
- Valid driver's license with active auto insurance, safe driving record, and reliable vehicle.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the On and Off-Premise Key Accounts Environment and three tier system.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and maintain effective working relationships with top level account decision makers, distributors, and all internal stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational, planning, analytical, oral, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills and the ability to think strategically.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and work under pressure with little supervision – self-motivated.
- Comfort with multitasking and maintaining efficiency and productivity.
- Ability to analyze large volume of sales data from a variety of sources; including IRI, VIP, iDig, and Karma.
- Proficiency with Google and Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and climb.
- Ability to frequently talk, hear, and smell.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms. Use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The work environment is usually that of an office, bar, restaurant, and brewery.
- The employee occasionally works on wet floors and with wet equipment.
- The employee occasionally works in a sanitary environment.